Not car related

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
‘Just have to vent!

I have a 17 year old Cub Cadet lawn tractor. Other than replacing a couple of normal wear related mechanical items, belts, blades …. I’ve had 0 problems. So last week I finished mowing my lawn. Shut the (Kohler) engine off to blow off lawn clippings. Turned the key and nothing. Bypassed started solenoid and nothing.

Took solenoid off and bench tested; it’s bad. Bench tested starter; it’s bad. After 17 years, I thought Oh Well. I ordered new “oem” replacements (from 2 different sellers). Received solenoid first and bench tested—-it’s bad :grumble

Contacted seller who refunded my money and told me to just pitch part. I received starter which didn’t look anything like part # I ordered :grumble:grumble Contacted seller who apologized and shipped (hopefully the correct part) the same day without waiting for me to return first one.

I ordered another solenoid from another seller. I received today and bench tested —-it’s bad :grumble:grumble:grumble

The “manufacturer” of both replacement solenoids is the same as my original. Only difference is original one was made in Mexico and the two replacements were made in China:furious

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
‘Just have to vent!

I have a 17 year old Cub Cadet lawn tractor. Other than replacing a couple of normal wear related mechanical items, belts, blades …. I’ve had 0 problems. So last week I finished mowing my lawn. Shut the (Kohler) engine off to blow off lawn clippings. Turned the key and nothing. Bypassed started solenoid and nothing.

Took solenoid off and bench tested; it’s bad. Bench tested starter; it’s bad. After 17 years, I thought Oh Well. I ordered new “oem” replacements (from 2 different sellers). Received solenoid first and bench tested—-it’s bad :grumble

Contacted seller who refunded my money and told me to just pitch part. I received starter which didn’t look anything like part # I ordered :grumble:grumble Contacted seller who apologized and shipped (hopefully the correct part) the same day without waiting for me to return first one.

I ordered another solenoid from another seller. I received today and bench tested —-it’s bad :grumble:grumble:grumble

The “manufacturer” of both replacement solenoids is the same as my original. Only difference is original one was made in Mexico and the two replacements were made in China:furious
Get your mower going again???

Reactions: 327

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep. What a PITA!

You’ll be sorry you asked.

Old starter had froze up; which probably took out the solenoid and, as I also discovered, probably took out the battery.

Bought new (3rd) solenoid at Lowe’s; it was fine. I received new starter. It was the wrong part #. Seller apologized and shipped correct part in 3 days. New version has a Bakelite tab on top to ensure proper orientation when installing. Well, tab slips into hole on engine mount that a couple of harness wires feed through. See pic. So I had to snip and re-route wires. Installed starter; turned key; nothing! :wtf

Checked battery again with voltmeter—13.2 volts. Turned key to start—dropped to 8 volts! Battery is 2 years old. Replaced battery and —— yes, the engine fired up!

So goes most of repair jobs

IMG_3702.jpeg:bang

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Had to buy new battery for my rider went bad over winter at Walmart. It was five years old. Those only have a 30 day warranty . Price was about 20.00 higher this time it had more cranking amps.

Reactions: 327