NOT MINE !!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Wrong carbs[61c didn't have 2 4bbls.],fuel filter in the wrong place,of course as Mike mentioned valve covers.What else are they lying about?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Strange things happen Fuzz. Harley used to have the same shipping charge anywhere in the US. A friend and his wife had their new Road King delivered to Bangor, Maine.....they lived in California....they like to ride. Flew out and rode it home.:dunno2

Junky

Well Known Member
Yeah but junky you didn’t mention anything about the 61s coming with a flock of sheep?

I also didn't mention that the seller claims that the bucket seats are made of leather, when they were originally made of vinyl. The only car that I remember having leather seating was the Cadillac, and the Buick Electra 225. Back then a lot of cars had Naugahide, but but today, there is not many Nauga's left in the world, because they went almost extinct around 1975. I remember a large herd of them just outside of Waterbury CT, at the U.S. Royal farm. Beautiful animals...
The Nauga, a colorful, horned, happy-looking creature native to the island of Sumatra, was once hunted to near-extinction. They were hunted for sport, but more often for their smooth and durable leather-like hide – Naugahyde, as it's generally known.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I also didn't mention that the seller claims that the bucket seats are made of leather, when they were originally made of vinyl. The only car that I remember having leather seating was the Cadillac, and the Buick Electra 225. Back then a lot of cars had Naugahide, but but today, there is not many Nauga's left in the world, because they went almost extinct around 1975. I remember a large herd of them just outside of Waterbury CT, at the U.S. Royal farm. Beautiful animals...
As the Nauga became nearly extinct it was replaced with Pleather.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Ironically, 4-door Chevy Belair sedans assembled by GM Holden in Australia from CKD kits (1950's up till mid 60's) needed a percentage of local content and they received genuine leather seats and were sold as luxury cars at twice the cost of a local built Holden. However a 4-door sport sedan Impala of the same year, from 61 onwards, had the normal US cloth/vinyl seats. This is a RHD Aussie Belair sedan with factory leather seats and factory dash, which was actually a 61 pontiac dash that was used from 1961-64, and another interior in red leather.
36466995_1068165026664159_552638136375574528_n.jpg

cp5317453877062764765.jpg

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Wide whitewalls were used on 1961 Chevrolets except the Super Sports, the 1" whitewalls were one of the mandatory options required on a SS
Did a little more looking, enlarged the photo of the engine and that fan shroud is a converted small block shroud, it's been trimed and the edge has been flared to make it look correct.
On another site the poster has a long list of what he claims is documentation but they never mention the 2x4's, incorrect breather etc.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I posted on the FB site to the poster, I don't know if it is the owner or not but they had not provided any documentation to support their claims about this car and received a response advising that if I had read the original post I would have see that the ad stated the car was a correct SS and did have a the correct 61 engine. I responded to him with the following. I don't feel that I'm wrong to point these things out. Do you guys ?? I'm not saying the car isn't a SS or that it doesn't have the correct block.

"I did revisit the ad for this car and you are correct in that the ad says it is an original SS but doesn't show any documentation like a picture of the cowl tag or items like metallic brakes photos or anything to back up their statement. They also state that it has the correct casting numbered block but they don't show any photos to support this statement. What does make one doubt these statements is the fact that the car has 2x4 barrel carbs which were never available from the factory on a 61 Chevrolet and it has the correct breather for those carbs, this breather is incorrect for a 61 Chevrolet. The other item that really causes concern is the fan shroud, the shroud on the car is for a small block Chevy, it has has been trimmed and the edge has been rolled to resemble the correct fan shroud. I'm not trying to pick your car but when these extremely rare cars are advertised as being for sale they should be correct and there should be documentation to prove this. These items along with incorrect whitewall tires set off an alarm to those who might be interested in the vehicle. I would agree with your statements about the number of SS cars built along with the number of 409 cars built in 61 but would certainly question where the number of convertibles came from. It is a nice car and could be worth the asking price provided the car is documented correctly."