Not sure where this goes,

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Went and saw this '57 Pontiac Star Chief today. Definitely a 4d ht. I'll
mention what I saw.
1-the car is blue in color with an India Ivory/white roof. It doesn't appear to be a repaint. Paint is fair;' maybe good, considering it's 61 years old. It might clean up some and take a shine. Pretty sure the roof would.
2-Body is straight with no dents or creases that I could see. Appears very solid.
3-No signs of rust through, but there was some paint bubbling in some area's. This was in the top of the rockers, left front mid fender, right rear outside dogleg,
top of the rear quarter, passengers side, where the taillight bezel fits against the body, driver side front fender eyebrow, I'm sure possibly one or two spots more, but nothing that really jumps out at me. Nothing serious enough that I would recall it.
4-no signs of rust around the front windshield reveal molding or rear window.
5-chrome frames for all 4 door window glass is pitted some with surface rust.
6- All the pillars appears to be fine, especially the "B" pillar. Strong. Sturdy. Solid.
Tried forcing it to move with no results. Doors lock and are hinged well.
7-Trunk floor appeared to be solid. Original jack in the trunk with alot of other junk. Couldn't be 100% sure at this time.
8-Floor pans also appear to be solid.
9-headliner is white and in good shape. The chrome ribs are very nice.
10-Dashboard is original and not butchered. The speedometer is stuck.
11-white steering wheel is perfect with no cracks whatsoever.
12-weather stripping around and between windows is in bad shape. All go up and down.
13-the front seat is leather and in bad shape. Can't be stitched or salvaged. Door panels can be cleaned up and rear seat is good shape. Needs new carpeting.
14-the engine is a 4 barrel and the compartment looks complete with all filters. Engine has 81,000 original miles on it. Not sure if the original radiator or not. Eventually, the compartment should be restored.
15-no power steering. Big disappointment. I can't tell if it has power brakes or not. I don't even see the master cylinder.
16-car hasn't been moved in about 8 years. Was started several times a year but not in the last 2-3 years.
17-no major engine or transmission repair. Just maintenance and tuneup.
18-to the owners recollection, never in an accident with it. They bought it in 1963 from the original, local owner. Could have been a daily driver to them, but present owner said they never took it out over any Winter. Always garaged. I just happen to think that it might have had a few very small accidents by the original owner.
19-all side trim and stainless intact and in nice shape.
20-front and rear bumpers are solid and dent free. Would eventually need re chroming. Wow. Those things are big. Bet it cost a fortune to re chrome them.
21-I'm sure I'm leaving something out. I couldn't get underneath of it because of the clutter around it, tightness and I forgot my jack. I definitely have to go back. Nice lady. Seems like a motivated seller. Will try and post some pics when my wife gets home. If it is a fair price, not discuss yet, I might have an interest in it. I think it's a project I could do over time and certainly it's something solid to work with. I'm just a little concerned about some parts availability. And that leather interior, I see a king size flat sheet covering everything for now. So, let me know any thoughts someone might have. I'm all ears. Thank you, Carmine.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Carmine, a friend of mine died last spring and he had a 57 Pontiac 4 dr. hardtop. Located in Michigan, I can call his widow to see if she will sell. He just had it painted a year before he died, paint was weathered but did not have any rust holes at all , 347 c.i. engine was done fresh last winter, he got to hear it run , but died before he could drive it with the fresh engine. Was bored .030 , new pistons, new cam, lifters, springs, stainless valves, I rebuilt the 3x2 bbl. carbs for him.I believe the car has somewhere around 50,000 mi. Not sure though . PM me if you want me to check on it for you. Front and rear bumpers were rechromed and are real nice.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, a friend of mine died last spring and he had a 57 Pontiac 4 dr. hardtop. Located in Michigan, I can call his widow to see if she will sell. He just had it painted a year before he died, paint was weathered but did not have any rust holes at all , 347 c.i. engine was done fresh last winter, he got to hear it run , but died before he could drive it with the fresh engine. Was bored .030 , new pistons, new cam, lifters, springs, stainless valves, I rebuilt the 3x2 bbl. carbs for him.I believe the car has somewhere around 50,000 mi. Not sure though . PM me if you want me to check on it for you. Front and rear bumpers were rechromed and are real nice.

View attachment 67495View attachment 67496
Thank you for those great pics and generous offer to check it out for me. For now, I'm going to hold off on that and see where my present journey with the one I'm looking at takes me. If need be, I will contact you. Thanks again, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Helped my high school buddy replace his 57 Pontiac’s auto trans on my grandfathers Gravel driveway.
Old school way, no lift just the bumper jack and blocks of wood.
Boy did that trans weigh a ton.
Dave
I bet it was heavy. Big old cast iron case. These are 4 speed automatics which I find interesting. Have to do a little research on these, Carmine.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Had a friend who raced a 57 Poncho back in the day called the Tin Indian. don't remember the cubic inches, but very fast for the time. Tony is no longer with us, but someone told me the car sets in south Austin behind a old house.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hydromatic I believe. Hard to find someone to work on them and parts are very scarce but maybe I'm wrong
You could be right Mike, I don't know. If I do buy it, I hope it only needs some fluid/filter change and maybe new gaskets. For haha's, I should stop by Aamco and see if they work on these things. Have several other independent transmission shops in my area also, Carmine.