Nova Gasser

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Made some headway on the Nova today, drew up in cad and had my buddy water jet me out some rear shock brackets. After I drew them up and printed out paper templates I got the idea to incorporate some tie down eyes into them, also I had to heat up and twist the tab for the shock stud to a 10 degree angle. Now I can install my trunk floor and get the fuel cell mounted so I can finish the plumbing.

Attachments

• IMG_5187.JPG
    IMG_5187.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5189.jpg
    IMG_5189.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5193.JPG
    IMG_5193.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5203.JPG
    IMG_5203.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5205.JPG
    IMG_5205.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 72

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Since I've been slacking a little on photos here are a few more pictures of the brackets I made and had powder coated to match my front frame section for the fuel injection fuel tank and the radiator eariler this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4473.JPG
    IMG_4473.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4474 2.JPG
    IMG_4474 2.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 112

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What's the big tank for?
Its for mechanical fuel injection, If you look there is a Hilborn fuel pump on the front of a old W motor Weiand timing cover. Those pumps are not good suckers but they push like hell and require fuel to gravity flow to them. I am putting a fuel cell with a Holley electric fuel pump in the trunk to keep the front tank full, the front tank has a float and needle seat valve in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 43

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What's the big tank for?
Years ago everyone who ran mechanical fuel injection mounted MOON fuel tanks out front and just refilled them after every run. Today NHRA does not want any fuel tanks outside the body so most people who put them on their cars use them for looks or radiator overflow tanks. The rule of thumb for a mechanical fuel injection gas tank is that it should be mounted above the fuel pump (and as close as possible) and lower than the barrel valve.

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Didn’t some people have a “air”hand pump located near the driver to presurize the tank for starting puposes. :scratch Car looks great by the way. :good
Thanks Barry, I'm not sure on the hand pump for fuel injection but I know they used hand pumps on old dirt track cars (sprint and stock cars). Here are some pictures of my best friends 38 Ford coupe stock car he bought 2 years ago with a hand pump. This car is a replica of a well known car back in the day and is supposed to be a pretty correct car, he has historic plates on it and is going to street drive it. Check out the homemade cross ram intake with two 2-jet Rochesters on it, this car is bad A$$ and will be a lot of fun on the street. We picked the car up in Ohio and when we got it home we took it up to an industrial park and drove it around, it ran real good and sounded great.

Attachments

• IMG_3902.JPG
    IMG_3902.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3908.JPG
    IMG_3908.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3905.JPG
    IMG_3905.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3906.JPG
    IMG_3906.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 74

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My bad!! Your right! When Dan Dean pulled the motor, trans from Dads Impala to be transplanted in to a 62 chevy2 they used a hand pump system. Had an Olds rear with rear wheel brakes only. Dad only ran this car a couple of times and sold it complete. He was match raceing a friend one Sunday and ran it of the end of the track twice. He said several times that it was a handfull to drive.Very few pictures exist of that car and I don’t have one. :weep