Off to the races !!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Off to the races tonite to see if any of the changes work,,,no race mufflers yet,,,,,dq

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yeah racing

I can't wait to hear of any improvements and see some more pictures. I have yet to get to the strip. I'm almost done with the 2nd control arm install. I was talking to an old time drag racer and he told me that I could eliminate most of my wheel hop by reducing the air pressure in the tires. I'll have to try this. dq, try running with 50 psi in the front tires and 45 psi in the rear. This should give you less rolling resistance. Don't freak out on me! Sometimes running more tire pressure with a radial tire will give you a better contact patch. Have the guys push you through the staging lanes to keep the under hood temps down. Pull around the water box if you are running street tires, water trapped between the tread will compromise your launch. If you run without an air cleaner leave the base of the air cleaner on the carb. Also try backing off the timing 2 dgs. this will give you more power at the big end.:D :D :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Too late Fat !!,,,,
Found out you don`t need mufflers if you can keep below 103 DB before 10 PM and 90 after,,,,,,
Sooooo I found out what it`s like to run open headers tonite !!!

Too MUCH extra power !! Burned rubber for the first 100 feet or so,,, and BLEW the db meter to pieces !!!! 107+,,,,,,,

Made me put the caps back on !! LOL !!!

What I did discover is that my exhaust system STINKS !!!!!!
It holds back so much power and the RPM !!
With open headers,,,,,6800 and pulling all the way,,,,second gear skiddy !!!

With them capped,,,,,1st gear=5800/6000 2nd/3rd=6000/6200 maybe,,,,

Drop the timing 2* sounds good,,,I`ll try it next time

Track was weird tonite ,,,couldn`t stay consistant on any thing,,,
Got this thing with my reaction though,,,,If I launch when at the last yellow,,,,, .495 multiple times and did this last year too!! Doesn`t matter what car either,,,,
If I try and leave later .625 and above,,,

Time to install the line-loc with the adjustable button to delay that last.005,,,

No need to talk ET cause I tried so many different things tonite they were all over the place. Way slower then last time BUT,,,open headers and MORE traction and that magic 12 second is there!!!
Gotta go it`s late and I`m still thruming,,,,dq

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers

THAT'S more like it, DQ !!!!!

Traction problem ?
EXCELLENT !:cheers

Hey Fat.... thanks for the pointers too:cheers !
When I was on those bias plys on my Belair, I used put about 40 in the front, and 24 in the rear.
aah!
STILL fly-wheeled the tires into 3rd ( had to back off the pedal, even in 2nd, to make sure I didn't over-rev )

BTW, DQ.... isn't that EXACTLY how I said that thing would be ?;)
HHHMMM ???
Remember ???
HHHHMMM ???? !!!
"spin into second gear" ???
HHHMMM ???? ;) :D

NOW... lets get the rear lowered for better weight transfer, and eliminate any extra plumbing ( weight ) from under the hood... AND AND AND.... get the battery where GM should've put it... in a sealed box in the trunk ! ( they do it with the Vette )

and once again
:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
YEP !!!!:D :D :D
Sometimes you just have to prove what other people tell ya!! Eh OZ ? heeee heeee
I can`t believe what a full exhaust will do to your times and HP !!

I forget who asked about the way my exhaust exits from the headers but,,,,I would NOT recommend it to be setup that way. WAY to restrictive !!!

When I have the cash it`s all going to change,,,,,install 3'' tubes from the collector to a 3'' muffler down to 21/2" tail pipes.
Might even think about the Warlock type of muffler with the cap to un-cork at the muffler.
Allen was running them on his "ugly" old Dodge PU with no bed liner and a 440 and met the DB leavel all nite.

Might even add some type of muffler tips to quiet it for the street,,,only if it`s too loud.
Problem being ,,,,when I utilize all that unleashed HP I`ll have to get all those rear end beef-up goodies CPG talks about.
ONLY MONEY they tell me !!! LOL,,,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I`ll post a few pictures.

First one is the car staged,,,,
Second on is launching,,,,notice how the front end rises,,,If the rear was lower and not bound-up with the ladders bars it would go even higher. Ladder bars are going soon.
I had one guy comment on how much the front end JUMPED on shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. He was impressed !

Attachments

• resize of stagedcrop.jpg
    resize of stagedcrop.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 164

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Another launch

Attachments

• resize of goodlaunchcrop.jpg
    resize of goodlaunchcrop.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 163

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Even on the stage remember I`m power braked so the front is up also.
In this picture you can see how much lower it sits between shifts,,,,

Attachments

• race standard hieght.jpg
    race standard hieght.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 159

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OZ,,,I got to tell ya !!! after sleeping on it ,,,this car is a Jekel and Hyde!!!! WOW!!!

Man,,the difference between open headers and that exhaust system I have is undescribable!! The more I think about it the more difference there is !!

I knew there would be improvment but ,,,WOW,,,WOW !!!

What do you think the minimum up grades to the rear end would allow for slicks ? Do you think I can get away with just the bearing girdles and strap?
I`d like to add the up-grades as I can afford to.

How about this???
First the bearing girdles and strap
Then the axles ,bearing up-grade etc.

will the rear hold up with just the first step?

I gitta get traction to find out how well she runs,,,,,dq