oil burning

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a 348 tri power about 200 miles on it. It has a big puff of blue smoke when I start it up. This blue smoke will show up even if the engine is shut off and restarted allmost right away. I pulled the spark plug out of #2 and it has oil all the way up the plug threads. Is this valve leaking or rings? How do I check to find out? Thanks John :(

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I can probably take a shot in the dark and guess at what is wrong but, you really need to supply more information . You said that the motor has 200 miles on it . Was it rebuilt, Cylinders bored, were the heads done? A first guess, it sound like someone forgot the valve seal on number 2.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Smoke?

That is not the norm. The engine has such little run time I would not make a judgment untill you have some serious cruise time on the car. If it was a high milage engine I would say valve guide seals. Did the rebuilder use Moly rings? Have the heads been rebuilt?

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
fatride said:
That is not the norm. The engine has such little run time I would not make a judgment untill you have some serious cruise time on the car. If it was a high milage engine I would say valve guide seals. Did the rebuilder use Moly rings? Have the heads been rebuilt?
That's the first thing I thought but why just the number 2 cylinder.? I'm sure he used the same type ring on all the bores. Now if the heads were done, the builder could have left out the seal on just that cylinder. What do you think?
I would do a compression test just for giggles . Then the cheapest place to start is the seal.

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks guys the heads where done and the rings are moly. There is a black oily residue in the tail pipe I have duals and its the same pretty well on both sides. I think too rich and maybe rings not seated as yet. I dont know. The heads are 333s It starts good and runs good but there is a rich fuel smell when stoped at a light. John

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7

I don't think he means oil on just #2, I think that's the one plug he pulled, is that right John?

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I pulled # 2 and # 4 and they both have oil in the threads. I allso pulled #6 and #8 they where clean and dry. John

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Heres the bad beast in all her glory. This car is a lot of fun and gets lots of smiles. John

Attachments

• snap shot.jpg
    snap shot.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 71

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Didn't I read somewhere that they pured Bonami down the carb to break in the rings quicker?

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ya I was talking to a guy that said they use to put that bon ammi into engines. I will see the old guy tomorrow and ask him what they did and what was their reason they did it. He tolf me they used a product called dutch cleanser. John

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Is the intake gasket arround 2 and 4 leaking? Could be pulling in oil from below. Just a thought.
Ross

oil burner

You guys mentioned bon ami to seal ringsin the post. I have used it twice, on a flathead ford and a 327 Chevy.. I mixed 2 tablespoons of bon ami and kerosene real vigorously then poured it down the carb while running the engine fast. After I did this I changed the oil (gets thin) and filter. Worked both times to seat the rings up. Steve

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thats a good thought that maybe intake gasket . So how do I check that. Maybe re torque the manifold ? As for the bon ammi the old guy I know whos name is Gord says they use to put a teaspoon full mixed with oil in each cylinder on new engines I think they where farm engines like John Deere or something along those lines. Will the rings seat on there own sooner or later? Again thanks guys for the help. John

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Bon Ami, or whatever.

What you are talking about was called a Mexican bore job. There is no place I can think of that I would use this prehistoric claptrap shade tree so called fix. If the correct rings and bore finish were not used in the first place your problem is with the machine shop that did the work in the first place. Try getting a claim settled after you pour a household cleaner down the carb of a $6000.00 rebuilt classic engine. Jeeze, I wonder if John Force is listening in! I hope he doesn't steal your secret. :rolleyes:

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you fatride I had no intention of doing such a thing. I am puzzled and looking at all info that comes this way. I really dont want to take her apart. But if I have to I will. Again thanks for your wisdom and directness. John Force would smile I bet. John

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Smacked again. I will never learn

I didn't say to use the Bon Ami or that I thought it was a good fix. I was just referring to some of the other posts on the site. Personally, I think there is something inherently wrong with the idea. "Don't shoot the messenger. "

Remember, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Self righteous.

Sorry guys if I sounded like a know it all, :doh I have heard of this (Bon Ami) thing also. I kinda thought you all were saying this "tongue in cheek". I sure don't want to get the reputation of bring a crabby ole fart! :cuss

bobs409

Administrator
It's funny how many say it works though, makes ya wonder...

I think if it were a last resort on a daily driver engine, I'd try it. :D (if it works on oil control rings that is)

I sure wouldn't go anywhere near my 409 with that stuff!!! :p

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So how long does it take for molly rings to seat? And what could cause them not to seat. John

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Sounds like intake gasket to me. Or if power brakes brake fluid pulling tru booster.

See if cyl's that are oiling, is in same branch manifold. Does it idle good?

Use a proprane bottle (NOT LIGHTED you know) open valve with eng idle run
onlong intake see if idle changes. You made just retighten intake bolts and fix it.

Dale