oil filter for -880 block?

denson1932

Well Known Member
OK its me stupid again....this time i can't get any oil flow up around the roller lifters nor up ANY of the pushrods... luckily i decided to do a oil prime test beore installing theEdelbrock 2701 intake...... I got constant 60PSI on the oil pressure gauge and working the cheap drill very hard. This is a stock roller cam instead of old school flat tappet, a first time i ever or me.
The Fram site and Autozone says PH3980 for 1997 K1500 5.7L engine, but that s too narrow, i have a Napa 21036 same thing it wont fit either so i grabbed a new PH 5 off my shelf. Is that the problem or do i need a special spin on oil flter adaptor in the -880 block??
pixs show:
1) Fram site listing PH 3980
2) a different (SPARE) -880 block showing oil filter boss .... with fresh crank BTW its for sale
3) my engine prime testing
4) gauge reads 60 (10w30 oil 5 quarts)

why oh why dont any oil guggle up not even around the liters?? this was SUPPOSED to be a rebuilt short block ( from the local machine shop).....that i bought for only $300...if it sounds too good to be true it probably is too good to be true....
PS if i turn the primer shaft even with my fingers i get a few pounds oil pressure on the gauge......

Attachments

• FPH3980_Bottom.jpg
    FPH3980_Bottom.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF2971.JPG
    DSCF2971.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF2972.JPG
    DSCF2972.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF2973.JPG
    DSCF2973.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF2974.JPG
    DSCF2974.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 34

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Back off on the valve adjustments,then pre oil it again,the lifters may have the flow cut off .

denson1932

Well Known Member
OK i went out t the shop and backed off each rocker nut 1 turn so as to remove the preload adjustment.. but no change when i do the drill...so next i remove the long center 'spider spring' that tensions the roller lifter guide plates....( has original cam and roller lifters) still no change...so next i remove # 7 exhaust lifter and now oil GUSHES out of that lifter bore...so yes we have oil supply to the lifter galley.
I inserted the used liters with assy lube just like i would with a flat tappet cam....do i need to remove all the lifters and soak them in a bucket of oil for a couple days before installation?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't use assembly lube on a hyd.roller cam.Take them apart and clean them out,coat them with oil,reinstall.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
General you have to run the priming tool then turn the crank a little run the priming tool again a repeat.

denson1932

Well Known Member
OK my mistake...i will take them all out and clean and lube them up with oil this time...
On the oil filter turns out the 1997 Chevy C1500 2WD Fram says uses the fat PH5 oil filter whereas the 1997 K1500 4WD calls for the skinny PH3980 oil filter...go figgure! did they need room for the front driveshaft to pass by?

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That and the fact that many if not most of the 4wd's were equipped with the optional oil cooler.