Oil filter question

Impala Lover

Supporting Member 1
Has anyone tried Quaker State brand oil filters? If so, what did you think of them and if not, what brand do you prefer? I normally like Car Quest brand or AC Delco filters, but thought I would get some opinions on the Quaker State brands since the mass merchandisers carry only this brand usually. Just asking!!

M

MK IISS

Impala Lover: The last info I read on Q.S. filters indicated they were made by Fram. If you do a Yahoo search on "Oil filter Tests" you will find a lot of interesting info on different brands of oil filters. The last time I checked, the GM AC filter is still one of the best.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Impala Lover, i did some research some time ago on a ac filter that gm recommended for high capacity and low bypass. I can not find the article or the number but I did cross it over to a Wix filter #51794. It holds roughly a quart and ahalf of oil and resists bypassing. I use it on all of my engines. Sells for about 9 to 10 dollars. Stay away from Fram, their quality has been sacrificed for volume $. I would stick with ac or wix. Puralator is not bad. Have sold many at the store for years and I can tell you lthat there is alot of junk out there. I would avoid QS and Penzoil if it were me. Just my two cents. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :)

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
Napa also sells a large capacity filter under part #1794, made for them by Wix. Have been using it on all my junk since reading some of the filter evaluations available on line.