Oil filter question

Nomader

I want to remove the canister filter setup from my 409 for a spin on. When I removed to see, I found the inner boss where the oil filter gasket would sit is machined off center. Also a standard Chevy filter PH30 is to small. Anyone else tried to do this with any success. Thanks in advance............:confused:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
There is a conversion kit available to change from canister to spin on. I will check tomorrow and see if I can come up with a part number.

Ron

Nomader

Update

I got the spin on adapter from a small block and it does bolt up but the oil filter gasket does not have the same diameter as the boss on the block, and it is machined off center. I believe it would leak as there would not be enough gasket surface with the block even if I could find the correct filter.

Ron, let me know if you come up with something

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If I understand it correctly, you took a spin on filter adapter from a sbc. You can not just use an adapter from another spin on motor. You will need to buy an aftermarket adapter to use a spin on filter. The later motors after 67 have the block machined for the correct diameter filter. The earlier motors were not machined for this type of filter so you need a "spacer adapter" in between.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Nomader

Napa has the adapter. I just picked up one for a 348. The part number is 4061. Price, about 16.50. You still use your original bypass valve. No filter is included, but it is for the short AC PF25, or the long PF35 (which is now the PF1218) I don't know the Napa or Wix no.
Ron

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
adapter

Yes, that is a NAPA number. It says Filter on the box, but is just the adapter.

Nomader

Done deal

OK I did get the parts and they work.

Thanks to Ron and Bungy for the info.

Napa part #4061 filter adapter
Napa part # 1061 spin on filter

A PH13 Fram oil filter will also work

Thanks guys for all your help