Oil for 409

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like the Brad Penn in whatever weight is appropriate for your climate. It is pretty hot here, so I use 20-50 in everything "old". I also throw in ZDDP+ or CamShield with each oil change in flat tappet engines. Right or wrong, I don't have issues. However, I know everyone has their favorites. If I had to do something else, I would probably go with Joe Gibbs or maybe Lucas.

427John

Well Known Member
Jim's right,neither Delo,or Rotella have zinc in there anymore.Of course,if one went with a roller lifter set up,you wouldn't need to buy "trick" oils or additives for your engine anyway.:deal
Oop's my bad I hadn't looked in a while guess I figured they would leave it in for the sake of the diesel engines,but i guess they have to meet regulations too.Don I get planning a roller for a new build,but i find it hard to justify pulling apart a perfectly good engine to do a retrofit,especially if you're happy with the performance of the present setup.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ZDDP has not been removed from HD diesel oils. Reduced yes but, not removed. I believe the problem with the new diesel oils is an increase in detergents such as calcium. The detergents compete with ZDDP for space on the surface of your sliding parts and reduce ZDDP's effectiveness. As was already stated, too much ZDDP can increase wear. The best thing is to use an oil that contains higher levels of zinc and phosphorus as part of a balanced package that works with level of detergent used. Race only oils should be avoided on something you might not change the oil in for a couple thousand miles. They contain little to no detergents and will not protect against sludge, corrosion, or acids that can build up over time.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Why would anyone use 5 weight oil? I learned my lesson years ago when we decided to use up all the 30 weight racing oil left over from the fastest 4 pound car in the country
I promptly put it in my blown alcohol mouse and stuck every piston in the motor in one run! After that it was 50 or 60 wt. so viscosity does matter.

GA409

Well Known Member
I called Shell and asked what is the current level of zinc and phosphorus. They stated that Rotella T4 has 1200 ppm of zinc and phosphorus.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Stay away from any diesel oil,period.Use Gibbs,Brad Penn,Amzoil,Lucas hot rod oils.If your bearimg clearences are .003 or less,a 10w-30 is all that you'll need for a street engine.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Stay away from any diesel oil,period.Use Gibbs,Brad Penn,Amzoil,Lucas hot rod oils.If your bearimg clearences are .003 or less,a 10w-30 is all that you'll need for a street engine.
Uuh Don would you add 10w-30 Valvoline Racing oil please
Robert

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wouldn’t use any additives. Oil is made with a specific additive package that is designed to work together. Adding who knows what can can have a very negative effect and do the opposite of what you were hoping for. There are different types of zddp. Some work at low temperatures and some high temps. Some in between. Who knows what that little bottle at the store has in it or how it will react with your current oil.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Racing oil has no detergents that are needed to keep your engine clean therefore have no place in street engine that is driven frequently.In Roberts case that racing oil is ok because it never gets warm.Every body needs to take what Dan's saying is 100 percent true.They're your engines,do aas you wiill,just don't say you weren't warned if and when the gamble fails.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
A slight deviation from the oils question but I also use racing gas in the show stuff for really one reason and that is stability and consistency. But… I have had a couple of not running great issues at the entrance to the showfield but using hot AC plugs has apparently been solving that item. I have been tempted to use LL avgas as it’s plentiful and cheaper but why change what has worked well for a long time.
Robert

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have run Valvoline racing VR1 in everything since I can remember. They have always stayed spotless and clean inside. Including a boat that has had the same oil in it for 3 years. :hide Must have a decent detergent package. :poke
I have also switched some old acquisitions to VR1 and it has picked up the old residues and dirtied quickly.

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I use Brad Penn 10/30 partial synthetic with zinc. Get it from a distributor. Started with 10/40 after rebuilding the engine but had heating issues. Made a lot of changes including going to 10/30 to address that issue. Lost a little oil pressure but seemed to help with the heat. Have 40,000 miles on the engine with a flat tappet hydraulic cam. Heads or pan have never been off so I guess the oil is doing the job.