Oil pan for 409 shoebox

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is targeted towards the fellows out there that have a 409 in tri five chevy's. I would like to know what you did for clearence between the pan and steering linkage? I have a 56 chevy, and I had to notch out the pan for clearence. There must be a better solution because I feel I'm not getting full pick up of oil or something. When I rev the engine and let up, the oil light comes on sometimes.(I also have a oil gauge and the pressure drops) I know my oil is full. There must be a solution, also, how about headers, any suggestions? The steering box is very close, if not touching the stock exhaust manifold......any help would be appreciated. OH OH, while I got your attention, what about the motor mounts, is there mount I can get for the frt. mounts. I didn't install this motor and who ever did just used some bent steel w/rubber bumpers. This has bugged me for years! :dunno

55p409

Supporting Member 1
I used a Dropped center link from Ol'55 ( east coast chevy out of Doylestown,PA

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
M

monk

Stef's makes a aluminum pan for 409 install into a tri 5........got one on mine.
It's a 1085........6 quart.......they also will weld the pickup to oil pump for you.

Headers.......bought a Shoenfeld kit and had a buddy make 'em for me.

Used Danchuk motor mounts....puts engine 3/4" forward and everything fit.

Robert Jacobson

I live 40 miles north of Detroit, in northern Oakland county, city of Clarkston
I live in Burton Michigan, which borders Flint. I use a stock pan. After figuring out the clearance needed, I welded in a a dropped intermediate rod to clear the pan then cut out the stock piece between the two holes where the tie rods attach to it. I have a 55. My engine is a bored and stroked 409 to 488 cubic inches. This was not an original idea. I saw it in a magazine some 35 years ago when I first put this car together and ran into this problem when installing a 427 big block , it's first engine after I acquired the body and frame in 1973.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Mine is mounted at the front with a Hurst horseshoe mount fora 348/409 the holes are drilled for the "W" motor. I also used aHurst 3" dropped drag link from Summit. I had to send them the original from the car as a core. I had notched the front of the stock truck pan to clear the drag link. I also used a P/S idler arm & pitman shaft for a tri 5 chev. That dropped the drag link even farther. With all that I still only have about 3/4" clearance to the drag link. I am going to use a Pinto rack & Pinion like Jim K has in his '57. My exhaust manifold on the left side is very close to the steering box. Look in the builds & projects file and go to K9hotrodder409 build page 3 for all the pictures of my build. Some of the pictures might help. I used whatever was lying around in my garage.

:crazy:cheers