oil pan gasket

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
My rear main is leaking on my 63 and I can't stand it any longer, it has leaked since before I bought the car in Feb. of this year. I didn't know it was as bad as it is, what manufacturer do most of you use for the pan gasket, can I replace the pan gasket and leave the timing cover on?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes you don't have to fool with the timing chain cover.Pulling that pan with the engine in the car is a major pain! Show Cars sold me a gasket[I think Victor] that was very nice.The next time I need one,that's the one I'd want.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Victor Mahle set is very good stuff, but it's hard to find the gaskets separately (or it's hard for me anyway).

El Rat

Well Known Member
He said rear main...I wonder if he means that or pan gasket seal. It is a pain to R and R the pan but it can be done.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Mine were not cork either, and the head gaskets were very nice also. I see Showcars has them separately...

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I will be removing the motor to replace the rear main seal and pan gasket, not sure which one or both are leaking. If I had to guess I would guess the 2 little seals or gaskets on either side of the rear main.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
It was not possible to get the oil pan off my 62with the engine in the car. Distributor out , crank in the proper position, engine jacked so high the front of the car was coming up. Wasn't going to happen:dunno. Ended pulling the motor. The good in all this , you can turn the engine oil pan up. At that point the gasket positioning is easy, and precise, NO LEAKS:cool:

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
As I said, the motor is coming out, never intended to replace the rear main and pan gasket while the motor is in the car. Going to start on Wednesday.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I guess a 62 is different from a 63 (other than the obvious) cause my 63 oil pan is sitting on the garage floor...washed with new gaskets.

El Rat

Well Known Member
And the motor is definitely in the car. Not a big deal actually. Block the motor up with a 6” two by four each side.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was not aware of those two pieces Don calls BAT WINGS, they definitely will leak on ya, I went back and added them, I used the FEL-PRO rubber/cork set up, I called them to see if they had a upgrade gasket, I was told NO, so I used them.

frank409

Tom,
You are correct that the engine has to come out of the car to get the oil pan off. The windage tray interferes so there is not enough clearance between the engine and the frame, even if you jack up the motor. Most likely the two little rubber seals that go between the rear main cap and the block were not installed. I made this mistake many years ago when I built my first 409. Be careful, when I did this repair years ago, I took the engine out and one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was was doing a frame off restoration.

I attached a picture of the two little rubber pieces.

Good luck,
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 53

El Rat

Well Known Member
You most certainly can get the pan off motor in the car. A pain but not terribly difficult. How about a couple pictures for the mechanically challenged!

El Rat

Well Known Member
I believe the pan was on when I pulled the heads (8 months ago) and I put the heads on with the pan off. However I still had the motor jacked/blocked up when I put the heads back on. I can R and R the VCs with the motor blocked up. I get a little fuzzy after 10 hospital visits in 12 months.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I have had no luck with a one piece gasket for a 409. :read:dunno2None are made, at least as far as I know.