Oil Pan

Impalajan

Looking for opinions and I’m sure there will be strong ones on this subject.
I have a 62 Biscayne 409, block code 3844422 which equates to a 1964 409/425 and indeed it is a dual quad engine. Interestingly the oil dipstick is on the driver side. I’ve read that a 348 oil pan won’t work on a 409 because it’s slightly narrower and the counter balance will hit. I’ve also read that oil pans can be modified for this issue. This engine has been rebuilt to a high level and dyno topped out around 450HP. BTW- over 100k total was spent on the 2005 restoration, not by me but I have all the receipts. Any ideas? Getting tired of guys telling me I have a 348.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
You do not have 348!!!!! But you do have a 348 oil pan....4 quarts plus the filter. Personally I would find a 400/425HP oil pan like the factory furnished. You should have a separate windage bolted to the main caps, plus you would have 6 quarts of oil for cooling. End of my sermon!!!!!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd use the Showcars re-pop. I have had no problems with them in conjunction with a windage tray. I know others may not share my opinion, but my experience with a couple of them has been good.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This a 348 truck pan. Dipstick has 2 option spots and both on the pass side. They must have bulged the sides for bigger insides because I tried it with my 409 crank with no issues

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg