oil pressure sending unit????

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
ok WHERE on these blocks can you tap into for the sending unit for a guage??? I know sounds dumb jus not sure like with BBc.

There is a tapped and plugged hole above the timing chain cover on passenger side of block. It would be just under where the heater hose goes into the intake. WOULD THAT WORK???

Thanks, John

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The stock location for the oil sending unit
Is on the oil filter housing just above the oil filter as you probably know. The thread is pipe. Simply remove the oil sending unit and replace this with a pipe tee. You can keep the idiot light and have a place to connect your mechanical gauge line.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Thank you sir. I'm possibly going to be running @ "T's". Idiot light, pressure gauge AND OIL TEMP as well.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not sure if your oil temp sending unit will respond to real time oil temp sitting on a stalk out of reach of recirculating oil. Maybe tapping the location at the front of the engine with the temp gauge sensor, like you mentioned earlier would be a better location.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Not sure if your oil temp sending unit will respond to real time oil temp sitting on a stalk out of reach of recirculating oil. Maybe tapping the location at the front of the engine with the temp gauge sensor, like you mentioned earlier would be a better location.

The spot on my motor is tapped already that's why I was thinking that? I was thinking he idiot like back by filter and pressure/temp gauges out of a "T" in this location?????

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The traditional location for the mechanical oil pressure line/idiot light pressure sensor would be at the oil filter location. The tapped hole at the front of the engine is at the front end of the oil gallery and would make a good location for the oil temp probe.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
we pick up oil pressure at the font of the block,behind timing cover. it allows you to get a reading at the furtherest point from the pump, and get red lite info from the back.

That's a very interesting approach. I decided to keep the mechanical gauges in the car but wanted the lights also. I put the sending unit for the light by the oil filter. I tapped the oil galley hole in the front behind the timing cover, for the mechanical gauge. Plumbed in a copper line. Not that it matters a great deal to me, but I never realized this hole was the furthest from the oil pump. Never gave it any thought. This might answer as to why before leaving the machine shop, I had 60 lbs. of oil pressure (they used the hole by the filter) at high idle and yesterday upon starting it, I had 50 lbs. at high idle. I wondered what happened. Guess location might explain it, Carmine.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That's why I referred to the oil filter location as the traditional pickup point. When asking or comparing oil pressure readings with others it's more like apples to apples.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Different gauge maybe. Pressure should be the same all around. It's a loop with leaks. If pressure is different at the closest to the furthest, the volume is running out.

EZ Cool

Supporting Member 1
The oil galley runs along the bottom drivers side of the block. There are 5 welch plugs where the oil passages to the mains are drilled then plugged. When rebuilding the motor I tapped these with a pipe tap and plugged with allen head pipe plugs. I attached the oil pressure line to one of these and used the factory location above the filter for the idiot light sender.

poison ivy

Well Known Member
Different gauge maybe. Pressure should be the same all around. It's a loop with leaks. If pressure is different at the closest to the furthest, the volume is running out.
EXACTLY,and it also lets you check oil pressure at the other end, as well as all rockers. Any oil galley or plug can be tapped for a reading.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
The oil galley runs along the bottom drivers side of the block. There are 5 welch plugs where the oil passages to the mains are drilled then plugged. When rebuilding the motor I tapped these with a pipe tap and plugged with allen head pipe plugs. I attached the oil pressure line to one of these and used the factory location above the filter for the idiot light sender.

What size tap did you use?