Oil pressure

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Oil

I use Mobil 1 15/50 synthetic after break in. When I tear down my engines the bearings look like they did when I put them in. Very lite scuffing. I use two quart filters also, I have an STP two quart filter now that I have no information on. Does anyone know who makes this filter and is it any good??

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have that oil filter study address somewhere around here. When I find it, I will start a new thread.
Ron

Oil Weight

Hey... this has been good reading !
I do like Tripower... warm months, I use the best quality straight 30W that I can get. When it's cooler ( to cold ! ), I use 10-30.

Never Used Penzoil. Been a Quaker State user for a long time though. Yes, Havoline is an excellent product... but somewhat difficult to comeby here. As of the last 5 years, I have been using the high end Imperal Oil products.

As was stated earlier, the quality of oil nowdays, goes a long ways to explaining how these newer cars will run for 200,000 miles.
MAN!... IMAGINE how many miles a 195HP 283 would go with modern oils and tuning ?!!

As for oil pressure, the typical high volume pumps that we use will give a fully warm engine about 60 PSI @ cruise highway speeds. I like my engines a bit on the loose side... hot idle pressure ( unless it idles like this "Stocker" @ 1400 RPM ! )... is normally around 20-25 ( 750-900 RPM ).

This stock, well worn 340HP that I've been driving, has full speed oil pressure of just under 40, and only about 15 at 600 RPM idle.

I

IgnitionMan

Since the oil pressure taps for senders, front and rear, are both from the same feed, camshaft feeds are the origin, pressures in each are the same, not diffent. At least, on every Chevy engine, small, big and/or W engines I've ever done and/or tested, even ones that have had the SAME guage connected to both the outputs.

Bob, look at what is left in the bottom of the pennzoil bottle, small paricles of grit. Had some analized, grit.

As far as oil filters, FRAM IS OUT, very poorly constructed. AC, NAPA Gold, Wix are the best to use, don't drop the line pressures like a Fram does.

J & J

Well Known Member
oil

What do you guys use for break in oil, any thing special. Has been years since I had a "Fresh Rebuilt" engine. we use to use Re-Refinded oil, but that was way back in the 60's.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Fatride, I printed off both of the articles and I guess from this information synthetics are the best protection for your engine. I am just astounded at the good information that comes on this site. :) Roy