Oil Pump identity

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Digging out more parts I have 3 oil pumps. First pic is all 3 together. From left to right the original truck block oil pump, middle 350 small block(seized and a paperweight) right is one I got from Ricky when I got his oil pan. Next 3 pics are left to right with the cast numbers. Question is why is the right one so much bigger than the other 2? Pick up tube is a lot. Higher on the pump too.

Attachments

• 56F8AAD6-A60E-412F-B9E0-5A474B3B7BC8.jpeg
    56F8AAD6-A60E-412F-B9E0-5A474B3B7BC8.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 58CF6F6D-6378-49D7-83A7-9A40FA0B502A.jpeg
    58CF6F6D-6378-49D7-83A7-9A40FA0B502A.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 0E01FE12-2F8A-45BD-BE09-8466A5FCD288.jpeg
    0E01FE12-2F8A-45BD-BE09-8466A5FCD288.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 26
  • CE94796F-C8C5-46FF-8944-D0F1480247C6.jpeg
    CE94796F-C8C5-46FF-8944-D0F1480247C6.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 25

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This is what I got. Doesn’t say melling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 17

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I forgot a couple of things already so I’ll add the shaft to the list. I have one already so I’ll check it and see if it’s any good. When I find it that is!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't worry about that old pump shaft.Unless it came from a W engine,it's going to be the wrong one any way.Too short.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Don't worry about that old pump shaft.Unless it came from a W engine,it's going to be the wrong one any way.Too short.
It’s the one that was in engine originally.

Looks wore on the end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 15

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like a small block part.I hate those plastic couplers any way and will never use one again.I've been that way since about 1976.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I’ll get the right shaft. I’ll need the one for a small block distributor anyway.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Digging out more parts I have 3 oil pumps. First pic is all 3 together. From left to right the original truck block oil pump, middle 350 small block(seized and a paperweight) right is one I got from Ricky when I got his oil pan. Next 3 pics are left to right with the cast numbers. Question is why is the right one so much bigger than the other 2? Pick up tube is a lot. Higher on the pump too.
Tim... that’s the pump and pickup that was on the engine the pan came off... I noticed it was a lot different than my other stuff, that’s why I assumed it had to be unique to the ‘65 pan.. it’s hard to say if it’s correct or not because it was on a 348 so who knows how long it had been on there and if it was correct...
Rick

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tim... that’s the pump and pickup that was on the engine the pan came off... I noticed it was a lot different than my other stuff, that’s why I assumed it had to be unique to the ‘65 pan.. it’s hard to say if it’s correct or not because it was on a 348 so who knows how long it had been on there and if it was correct...
Rick

It’s good to have, I’ll see when the pump shows up. May have to use that pick up. Got the pan cleaned out today. Stripping the paint to give it a new look. I did notice that part of the tray was cut out. I suspect it was to fit that pump in there. I don’t trust the pump part but might need the pick up tube

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From what I understand the 348/409 use the same oil pump as a small block. The larger pump is mark IV big block that can be put in. Larger volume and more teeth on the pump gear. Smoother pull and may give more accurate spark timing.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You're right on both points Tom,but you'll have to "adjust" the pump drive length for use in a W engine.Not necessary for a street or even a street/strip,6500 rpm engine.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
From what I understand the 348/409 use the same oil pump as a small block. The larger pump is mark IV big block that can be put in. Larger volume and more teeth on the pump gear. Smoother pull and may give more accurate spark timing.
Tom, That’s exactly what it is! I looked up the number on it after you said. That explains why the oil pan is cut out. It wouldn’t fit otherwise. I’ll go back to the smaller pump. I have the tube to use.