Oil pump priming problems

BubbaG

Thanks to Carmine for loaning me his modified W primer. It is 1.37" diameter (same as the distributor) vs the 1.25" for my SBC/BBC primer. Definitely fit in the distributor hole better. After priming it for about five minutes (my drill battery ran out of juice), I got oil through 6 pushrods on the passenger side and 6 pushrods on the drivers side. I turned the crankshaft a quarter turn, and primed it for two minutes. I repeated that process again. That only got one more pushrod to weep oil on the passenger side.

With those results, I would like to get the opinions on whether you would consider it safe to try to start the engine if I put some oil on the 3 rocker arms that didn't get any oil. And if not, how should proceed to get all the pushrods to weep oil?

reastman

Well Known Member
Are there any truck distributors for sale? The engine periodically gets turned over, and is presently lubed with Lubriplate 105 ass'y lube, as well as a liberal 50/50 mix of STP/engine oil. I can make my own tool from a truck dist., as I have a mill and a lathe in my shop. E-mail [lilsquirt@woh.rr.com] me if you have one for sale. Since this engine is not in a car, I want to periodically force oil thru the system, so I would want to have the tool on hand any time I need it. Thanks, Richard