Oil pumps and solid engine mounts.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If you are using solid engine mounts I suggest you upgrade your oil pump to a high performance pump with a stronger body and a screen assembly. Solid mounts set up a tunning fork vibration that can result in the pump breaking where it bolts to the rear cap. Damage to the oil pickup assembly likewise will happen.

Regards, Ray
Fathead Racing.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have never heard of it either. Freaky things do happen though. You used to hear about pick ups cracking when using an aluminum pan. Something to do with harmonics. I know over 700 hp, solid side mounts can start causing some main bore distortion.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
It sounds to me Ray, you may have had, one of those defective Melling pumps, from about 4 or 5 years ago.:doh We talked about that. Melling took some of the metal, off the pumps, near the mounting bolts, and they were breaking. They did, have a Recall, on them.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It sounds to me Ray, you may have had, one of those defective Melling pumps, from about 4 or 5 years ago.:doh We talked about that. Melling took some of the metal, off the pumps, near the mounting bolts, and they were breaking. They did, have a Recall, on them.
No I didn't have problems in that area. My stock screen assembly broke completely off the welded pickup tube. Although I may have one of those pumps, I'll have to check. This is an across the board phenomenon. Effects all engines. If your running with solid mounts it's time to upgrade the oil pump to a high performance unit designed for the type of use.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
OK, I see a con of solid mounts, what's the pro's over regular mounts?
I've busted two rubber high performance mounts. Both were the hook type. After they busted the engine twisted enough to bang up the headers. Maybe I just had cheap mounts? But it was enough to push me over the edge. Pro's, I don't know. But I am running 11.58. Street car. So far so good. I try and avoid giving advice to anyone that's running better than 11.58.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've busted two rubber high performance mounts. Both were the hook type. After they busted the engine twisted enough to bang up the headers. Maybe I just had cheap mounts? But it was enough to push me over the edge. Pro's, I don't know. But I am running 11.58. Street car. So far so good. I try and avoid giving advice to anyone that's running better than 11.58.

So I suppose you get enough flex from your trans mount? I'm running poly mounts with a chain. I'm thinkin I better keep a spare mount in the trailer to keep from spoiling a weekend. I'm no where near 11:58........:dunno FWIW, I have heard theories of the stress created by motor mounts on the W blocks as one cause of the dreaded block crack.

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
So I suppose you get enough flex from your trans mount? I'm running rubber mounts with a chain. I'm thinkin I better keep a spare mount inthe trailer to keep from spoiling a weekend. I'm no where near 11:58........:dunno FWIW, I have heard theories of the stress created by motor mounts on the W blocks as one cause of the dreaded block crack.
Yup, I've heard the same thing but also heard you have to make more power than I'm making. My tranny mount is also solid. Have you known anyone personally that has cracked a block running solid mounts? Could be one of the dreaded "wives tales".

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yup, I've heard the same thing but also heard you have to make more power than I'm making. My tranny mount is also solid. Have you known anyone personally that has cracked a block running solid mounts? Could be one of the dreaded "wives tales".

For true....not personally heard of one cracking. I always thought the old salts said to have a soft mount front or rear? I guess we all know the block is weak below the deck in these " antique truck engines" but I'm gonna beat mine like a rented mule. We both run about the same et's, may be we should have a grudge race some time for "2 fingers" :burnout

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
For true....not personally heard of one. I guess we all know the block is weak below the deck in these " antique truck engines" but I'm gonna beat mine like a rented mule. We both run about the same et's, may be we should have a grudge race some time for "2 fingers" :burnout
I have run 11.58 one time. That was at National Trails in Colubus Ohio. I'm pretty sure the only reason was that I didn't change my underwear that day. I have those underwear. Your on.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have run 11.58 one time. That was at National Trails in Colubus Ohio. I'm pretty sure the only reason was that I didn't change my underwear that day. I have those underwear. Your on.

PERFECT...........:applif you ain't having fun, you ain't having.......looking forward to the racing season and getting to know some of you old guys better......:winnerBTW, I have ran 11:61 one time..,..let's bring it,......

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I used to think that too Ray, but everybody else in the whole wide world disagreed with me. Can lead to broken trans tail shaft housings and bellhousings also.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I used to think that too Ray, but everybody else in the whole wide world disagreed with me. Can lead to broken trans tail shaft housings and bellhousings also.
Do you know of anyone that have actually broken anything with solid engine and tranny mounts? Maybe I'll be the test dummy. This conversation hasn't come up before. Maybe we can get to the bottom of it?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
FWIW I'm running a Melling M55 with the 10553 housing. No problems with the pickup tube so far, Just had it apart last year.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Were you running a two step ignition at the start line? Those can cause some increased vibration-some of the Pontiac guys crack the factory windage trays form vibration finding parts in the pan.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Yea, I agree with Brian, seen trans. case damage when trans. is mounted solid. As far as engine mounts , seen oil pump pick-ups break off no matter what type of mount is used. Horsepower, RPM, and lack of an effective torsional vibration dampener tend to cause most of this type of damage. Just my two cents worth, didn' t intend to step on any toes here.