Oil slinger

esimmers

In the assembly procedures of a '60 348, the manual mentions installing a crankshaft oil slinger after installing the timing gear and chain and before installation of the timing chain cover. I kept all the parts together but can't seem to come up with this piece. I think it is for the lubrication of the gears and chain and an oil blocker to the seal in the timing chain cover. Does anyone know if this is needed and if so, where I could locate one.
They are right when they say "the mind goes first"
Thanks,
Skip

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I remember omitting this piece in an early build of a 348 I had. I thought it was important enough to take apart the front of the engine to place this part where it was supposed to be. I would include it in my build just because I don't have any information that would support leaving it out. It's hard to second guess GM engineers.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have one that I was going to put in my engine...... but didn't..... none of the 348 & 409's done at Jim's shop...... maybe 10 in the last couple of years have the slinger and we have had no issues. I don't know if they were factory on all engines or not. Of all the engines taken apart I only have one slinger.......

Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Skip,
That same slinger was used on al 55-58 V-8's, especially Corvette and you could probably find one at your local machine shop, since they were often left out and apparently weren't considered necessary after 58. My 61 Parts Catalog doesn't show it applying to anything after 58.

Group 0.648 SLINGER, Crankshaft Oil

55-58 ALL, CORVETTE (8 cyl.) ..........(1 1/4 I.D.x 3 1/4 O.D.x 3/8 width)....3704116

Available from Zip Products here:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={4bd99e40-4c98-4007-9f5b-05ca15b347e7}&pname=55-58+Harmonic+Balancer+Oil+Slinger&Referer=QUICK_SEARCH&Alias=1958%20oil%20slinger&ptct=BS-SR&CTitle=&

or try this link

http://www.zip-corvette.com/Product...hType=_QUICK_SEARCH&Keyword=1958 oil slinger&
:coffee:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
oil "slinger"

The purpose of that part is to help reduce frt.seal leaks.On a freash rebuild,you dont abosutely have to have it.Many engines have been built without them with no ill effects.On the other hand,it dosent hurt to have it in there either.Many of them have been found on the work bench AFTER the engine was back toget:dohher.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I don't recall my 409, ever having one.:dunno If it did, I would still have it. Because, I never throw anything away.:doh:rolleyes:Just ask my wife.:takethat Anyhow, I did buy a new oil slinger from ShowCars, but couldn't find it, when I rebuilt the motor. :rolleyes:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Front oil seal

Pretty sure the inner spring found in the front oil seal was not as good or not invented until the early 60's. Toss that oil slinger in the "parts left out" box.

El Rat

Well Known Member
One unintended plus when using the slinger is it moves the balancer .060 forward thus providing the front seal with a new sealing surface.

marty_in_mesa

Well Known Member
I just finished assembling my engine. (I did not disassemble it, it came to me apart) I do remember seeing the slinger in the parts box.
Today I installed the timing chain cover and the oil pan. I installed the harmonic balancer and had an o-crap moment. I realized I forgot the slinger. I assembled many SBC engines and never had one so I plead ignorance. I was going to ask if I needed it and found this thread. Don "The Man" Jacks seems to indicate not necessary and other's indicate new seals are much better than the old seals from "back in the day". So safe to say I don't need to pull the oil pan and timing chain cover to put the slinger back in? :dunno

Just looking for reassurance.....
Marty

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Late to the party here, but have done MANY sbc& bbc engines, no slinger, no nasty phone calls. About the comment in the thread that it will move the grove in relation to the damper, there are "special " seals with offset lips just for that purpose. Don't think I would lose any sleep over using it or not!