Oiling problem in a 235/6 cyl.

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
First of all, I have a 235 in a 60' (for now), low miles, runs great and purrs like a kitten. A good friend of mine, bought a while back, a supposedly freshly rebuilt 235 from a local, well known car collector. All painted up and nice. He puts it in his 55' Chebbie, runs good for awhile, then his oil light comes on. The upper end seems dry, and lifters are rattling a bit. He just put in a new oil pump, no difference. Still seems to have no, or very little oil pressure. We look at our 2 engines. Mine is VERY original, the vacuum modulator on my distributor is about 1/4 turn CW away from the block. His, modulator, is right next to the block, so his distributor is rotated ccw almost 1/4 more than mine. My question is, is the 235 distributor similar to the "W" engine distributor, where on the lower part of the shaft housing, is there an oil clearance groove, with part of it having a "Boss", in the groove, which in his case, could be blocking off an oil passage?? I told him that would be my guess, so I think he is going to try that, rotating the dist. CW a partial turn, then relocating all his wires back, and re-timing it. ANyone have any insight on this perplexing problem for my Buddy?? Thanks for any wise opinions on this. Brian.:dunno

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Not sure whether the distributor could cause that problem or not, but it sure would not hurt to check. One thing that I have seen cause oil pressure problems on the 235 is the oil filter(if so equipped). The 235 was not designed for a full-flow filter system, and most of them didn't come with a filter. Those that came with a filter, or any filter added, was a partial-flow system. This means that the filter took some of the oil, filtered it and then dumped it back in the pan. Besides not being very efficient, since the oil for the filter came from one of the oil passages the oil pressure usually suffered, especially if the hoses to the filter were too big. This is why many people thought the "toilet paper" filters gave them better oil pressure. In fact, on the 235 it did, because pumping oil through a full roll of butt wipe tends to restrict the flow a bit. But they were blamed for burning up many other engines.
If your buddy has an oil filter on his engine, it might be something to check. Best of luck.

OldTruckNut

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
not enuf oil press.

Thanks for the good tip, bud. I'll let him know. That was good info! Brian.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 235 six distributor does not have the half groove like the w engines so that couldn't cause the problem. My first thought would be a blown oil galley plug but you would see a major oil leak and I don't think there are any internal plugs that could cause the problem. Possibly incorrectly installed cam bearings but you said it ran good for a while (how long?) Also there are two oil pumps that fit the 216/235/261 There is a lower pressure pump used on the earlier "dipper" rod engines I think 30 psi max and the later 60 psi units were installed in the engines with the pressurized rods. Something you may want to check. :dunno