OK, here's a question for the ages.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Born to be Wild......Steppenwolf.:winner:winnerPlus tons of others. Lots of the 60's artists are checking out. Glenn Frey of the Eagles a few weeks ago. Went to a Frankie Valli concert last week. He is 81......put on a great performance for 2 hours without a break.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My current fave is an oldie circa 1972 from ELP (Emerson Lake and Palmer) called "In the Beginning". I just took up guitar and that is the first song I tried to learn :). I've got the intro down, still need to work on the rest.

My favorite band from the 70s was "Yes", a progressive rock group from Britain.

Other favorites:

Anything by the Doors, Beatles, Stones and the Eagles.

Numerous cuts from Traffic (Low Spark of High Heel Boys etc.) and the Allman Bros.

Early Santana (circa 1969, e.g. Black Magic Woman)

Most songs by Queen and Foghat

Early Bruce Sprinsteen

Select cuts:

Charlie Daniels "Uneasy Rider" and "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"
Bob Seger "Night Moves" (and many others)

I still have a lot of that stuff on vinyl :) :) :).

I better stop now, I went over my quota :).

TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I was a teenager when rock and roll came on the scene, that's all I listen to still....... Have many,many favorite's .They call today's music ,,,,,,music???? Give me door's beatle's and a whole bunch more and I can't pick out just one ....but one is The rolling stone's,,,This could be the last time.....and Marvin Gaye ,your a wonderfull one and Can I get a witness.....And if you want to crune this goes way back ,and do the stroll with your favorite gal ,,,,,chuck Willis ,,,CC Rider.....:dunnook, this one take's me back when I had my fist new 63 ,,,,,Johnny River's ,,,Memphis ,,,,as it popular at that time.

Last edited:

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My current fave is an oldie circa 1972 from ELP (Emerson Lake and Palmer) called "In the Beginning". I just took up guitar and that is the first song I tried to learn :). I've got the intro down, still need to work on the rest.

My favorite band from the 70s was "Yes", a progressive rock group from Britain.
TomK
Tom, When I was winning the "backwards song of the day" pretty often, one of the prizes was tickets to see YES and TOTO in concert at St. Charles. I gave them to Deb's aunt and her boyfriend; they appreciated them but said the concert kind of sucked. We saw the Ozark Mountain Daredevils in their 40th anniversary tour a few years ago; they kind of sucked, too. I hate when the performers get too old to be trying to live up to my expectations. I guess that's why I hate Branson so much.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mearl:

Yes always put on a good show, to the best of my knowledge. Saw them in the early 70s at the Akron Rubber Bowl (south of Cleveland) in a "stadium rock" format with three other bands. The first warmup band came on stage, three guys in plaid shirts and blue jeans, I was thinking "Country" and then they belted out "Witchey Woman" and "Take it Easy" and left the stage. I went away thinking "those guys are pretty good" (the Eagles). I hadn't heard of them prior to that.

In 1969 at my Senior Dance (high school) we hired a band called "The James Gang" with a lead guitarist named Joe Walsh. Little did I know there would be a connection with those Eagles a bit later on :).

I was fortunate to grow up in Cleveland (that might sound odd to some...) during a time when all the new bands came to town. Saw Springsteen, Seeger, Steve Miller, all those guys before they got famous. My favorite was Jerry Jeff Walker (Pissin' in the Wind) -- he was soooo loaded (beer keg in stage) he slurred through many of the words. Luckily the crowd knew them and was singing along :).

OK, I'll stop now!

TomK

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member
Mearl:

Yes always put on a good show, to the best of my knowledge. Saw them in the early 70s at the Akron Rubber Bowl (south of Cleveland) in a "stadium rock" format with three other bands. The first warmup band came on stage, three guys in plaid shirts and blue jeans, I was thinking "Country" and then they belted out "Witchey Woman" and "Take it Easy" and left the stage. I went away thinking "those guys are pretty good" (the Eagles). I hadn't heard of them prior to that.

In 1969 at my Senior Dance (high school) we hired a band called "The James Gang" with a lead guitarist named Joe Walsh. Little did I know there would be a connection with those Eagles a bit later on :).

I was fortunate to grow up in Cleveland (that might sound odd to some...) during a time when all the new bands came to town. Saw Springsteen, Seeger, Steve Miller, all those guys before they got famous. My favorite was Jerry Jeff Walker (Pissin' in the Wind) -- he was soooo loaded (beer keg in stage) he slurred through many of the words. Luckily the crowd knew them and was singing along :).

OK, I'll stop now!

TomK

You must be familiar with the Michael Stanley Band? I grew up in Canton listening to WMMS before the music went commercial.

doc396

Well Known Member
100_1486.jpg Here in Columbus, Ohio we had WCOL AM for all the pop music of the times. And WCOL FM which was religious programing from dawn till dusk, all night it was album related rock music with little or no commercials. This my old belt buckle.

Last edited: