OK, here's a question for the ages.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
"You must be familiar with the Michael Stanley Band? I grew up in Canton listening to WMMS before the music went commercial."

MSB, I do remember them! Mainly a local group of boys, my buddy sat in as drummer before Tommy Dobeck joined the group. He and Michael Stanley went to Rocky River High School, where it all began.

WMMS was my favorite FM dial, remember Murray Saul the "Get Down Man" on Fridays at 5:00 PM, followed by "Friday on my Mind"?

Remember "Ghoulardi" on Saturday nights? Ernie Anderson, the local weatherman had this bizarro show, bad "C" movies and lots of improv in between instead of commercials :). He was also my Cub Scout Pack Leader, lived one block over from my parents before making it big in LA.

Cheers!
TomK

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm with Keith. If you strolled thru my collection you would find everything from Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash to Del Shannon, Buddy Holly, almost anything 60's and 70's to some Nickelback.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Back in 69, I was a delivery driver for a printing company that had Playboy Club in Chicago as a client. The ad agent I delivered to would always ask if I wanted to see the band downstairs and make the delivery there. Would leave my name at the door and I got to see some of the best bands of the day live for free, bunnys too. The band that really impressed me was Sly and the family stone. When I got back to work they would always say, what took so long?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Great story, Mike! I have a similar one.

Was a freshman in college (Case Western Reserve University in downtown Cleveland) circa 1970 and was cruising through campus early on a Friday night and noticed a bit of activity outside of a church that was on campus. There were a bunch of roadies unloading speakers and other equipment. We asked them what was going on, and were told there was a free concert that night and that they were setting up a light show for the event. The group was called "Pink Floyd" :) :) :).

I went back to the fraternity house and rounded up a bunch of guys and we were treated to an awesome spectacle that evening :).

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Beatles Here comes the sun
Led Zeppelin (anything)
AC/DC (anything)
Everlast What it's like
The guess who Bus rider
Rage Against the Machine Wake up
I better stop for now trying to think of some of the first songs I remember hearing but my dad was into the Big Band stuff me not so much lots of Herb Albert and the Tijuana brass. I had to play in band when I was in grade school and the only instrument left in the house was a clarinet. Being a army brat was tough.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great story, Mike! I have a similar one.

Was a freshman in college (Case Western Reserve University in downtown Cleveland) circa 1970 and was cruising through campus early on a Friday night and noticed a bit of activity outside of a church that was on campus. There were a bunch of roadies unloading speakers and other equipment. We asked them what was going on, and were told there was a free concert that night and that they were setting up a light show for the event. The group was called "Pink Floyd" :) :) :).

I went back to the fraternity house and rounded up a bunch of guys and we were treated to an awesome spectacle that evening :).

We don't need no education...

Floyd Horton

Well Known Member
Been to a jillion concerts from Iron Maiden to The Grand Ole Opry. Hands down the best performance ever was at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas featuring 3 full hours of non other than Meatloaf. Bat Out Hell is burned indelibly in my brain.