Old Bikes

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
1970bike-jpg.3037643

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
When I was a kid, I chewed a lot of bubble gum.:clap Used to get pictures of Baseball players, in the pack. I had most, of the great ballplayers cards. Probably, would be worth something today, if I didn't put them in the spokes of my bike.:doh:dunno In the summer, I would spend my vacation, in the country, at my Aunt and Grandmother's house. :clap I got to bring, my bike with me. KOOL.:applNow, I can really see what this bike will do. Were talking, highway roads, without traffic. Not like riding in the city. This particular day, my aunt Katherine, says to me, don't go too far, supper will be ready in 30 minutes. OK, I won't go far.:dunnoI decided, to take a ride to the creek.:clap Just a couple miles, down the rode.:dunno I kinda spent, too much time, than I wanted.:doh Now I gotta haul a$$.:rolleyes I'm pedaling this bike as fast as my legs will go.:clapNo traffic. I looked down at my speedometer, and I'm doing 35 mph. WOW, I'm moving. I look up, and :drop too late too stop. I ran into the back bumper, of a parked 1954 Buick. Let me tell you, that F-en hurt .:eek1 I landed on the roof, and ended up on the hood. :doh Them Buick's, had lots of chrome om them. My knees and arms had the most rash. I climbed down, and checked to make sure, all my body parts, were still attached. My one leg was messed up, and I couldn't put much weight on it.:doh I sat there for a few minutes, to gather my thoughts, and remembered the 30 minute supper. Holy Crap, my Aunt is gonna be mad.:bang I picked up the bike, and tried to straighten it up, and both forks were bent.:doh It wouldn't roll.:tantrum I had to drag the bike home, about a half mile.:mad I just know, she's gonna be mad.:doh When I finally made it, to the back yard, she ran out, and started to ball me out, but when she looked at me, she thought I got hit by a car. She brought me in the house, and doctored me up, and I ate supper, a little late, and she took care of me. She was my favorite aunt.:appl Couple days later, my father came, and took the bike, back to our house, in the city.:doh Oh well.:dunno SPEED, It gets you, every time.:clap:clap:clap

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I wouldn't used my baseball cards!!!!! They were my pride and joy!! I used a deck of playing cards and will try to put on of them on as I could. Not as loud as the baseball cards though. BUT.................still have my baseball cards!!!!!!!!!!!!

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Yes, I put all my baseball cards on my bike spokes also. A guy I work with several years was a base ball card collector when he was a kid, kept them all. Grew up, got married, had kids and just forgot about his cards.Til his Mom reminded him about his cards over the Christmas holidays. He got his old cards, had them cataloged and apprised. They apprised for $57,000.00. I most likely could have millions of $$$$ for all the cards I destroyed. All thru 1st thru 6th grade, I would walk across the street after school and get bubble gum with a card in it , cost 2 cents. Now some of the cards cost more than a complete high HP 409 engine.:wah:cry

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Alright Skip, I was already being poor without a Schwinn, now you go and rub the Speedometer in my face. Where the heck did that come from. And yes, thinking back on both my 54 merc, and my 52 buick, they had big bumpers with guards and you would not want to hit them on much of anything. Where was your helmet? :)

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I wouldn't used my baseball cards!!!!! They were my pride and joy!! I used a deck of playing cards and will try to put on of them on as I could. Not as loud as the baseball cards though. BUT.................still have my baseball cards!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are they worth Phil ??????

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Alright Skip, I was already being poor without a Schwinn, now you go and rub the Speedometer in my face. Where the heck did that come from. And yes, thinking back on both my 54 merc, and my 52 buick, they had big bumpers with guards and you would not want to hit them on much of anything. Where was your helmet? :)
YA SKIP ,WHERE DID THAT SPEEDO COME FROM???????:confused:confused

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I saved my allowance, for 3 or 4 weeks, to get that Speedometer.:doh I can't remember, if I got that at National Auto or Klarsfeld's. We didn't need helmets, back then. We were careful. :dunno2:laughingKlarsfeld's sold Schwinn bicycles, regular affordable bikes, and Lionel "O" Gauge Electric Trains.:clap Eye Candy, if your a kid.:appl

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I saved my allowance, for 3 or 4 weeks, to get that Speedometer.:doh I can't remember, if I got that at National Auto or Klarsfeld's. We didn't need helmets, back then. We were careful. :dunno2:laughingKlarsfeld's sold Schwinn bicycles, regular affordable bikes, and Lionel "O" Gauge Electric Trains.:clap Eye Candy, if your a kid.:appl
Huh,you were careful but you run into a Buick!!:lmao!

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was being facetious about the helmets. I believe in choice. I will say they will help, however I rode most of my life without one on motorcycles and am still alive. However when the commie state of California started a helmet law I did wear one for years. I would probably wear them anyway now, however I am still pro choice when it comes to helmets.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Never had a 20 in bike. Started out on 24 in. Then moved up to a 26 in paperboy HUFFY, big frame & tires. Started a Detroit News paper route when they built up the neighborhood. Only had 25 customers to start, but when I sold the route I had nearly 200 daily's & 250 Sunday's. Back to the baseball cards, had a LARGE box full of them from around 1956 to 1963 that my EX-wife throughout without telling me. Don't even want to think about what they would be worth now.
Dave