Old Bikes

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
23244592_1526497207410093_3009276599847936114_n.jpg

Gav

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I went through my Wonder Years down here in Temple City. We moved back down here in August of '66 from southern Oregon after my dad passed away. Kids down here all had bikes and skateboards, I never had a bike until I graduated from junior high school. Mom was too nervous to let me out of her sight, and it took an act of God to get a bike so I could run around with my friends. I also had a big box full of American Flyer trains, the two rail S gauge ones. While at school one day, she gave them away to my uncle without even asking me first, and I found out about it when we went over to his house and he had built a fairly nice layout with it all,and than she told me after the fact. I felt a little weird about that, made me worry about what else might disappear when I had my back turned. He then took it all down and built an HO scale layout, and traded some of the S gauge for HO stuff. I did manage to retrieve two of the sets after he died a few years later, still got'em on a shelf in my back room, I always drove cheap old cars from the time I could drive until the time I worked in a dealer and had access to all kinds of good stuff. My first bike was a 10 speed, had it several years. It got stolen one day when we went somewhere, however. Sting Ray's were cool bikes. In Temple City, lots of kids and dads had dirt bikes,and weekends out in the desert riding was a popular past time, so during the rest of the time, kids tore around on those Sting Rays. Any vacant lot became a track, any dirt pile wasn't safe, it was a lot of fun. Anybody growing up in the mid '60's to mid '70's that didn't get to be a part of all that fun led a deprived life. Yes, we tumbled and rolled, took a few lumps, but what was life without a few risks? I remember an epidemic of broken arms in the population of 8th graders I grew up around from falling off bikes and good old rough play. Can kids still do that, or has the last two generations missed something?

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I remember when I was about 14, we were sitting around out front, and a few blocks away, somebody started up a real loud 2 stroke dirt bike. He rapped it up a few times, then took off up the street and he full throttle and went through five gears. We all wondered how crazy fast he was going down a residential street with it in high gear. Also, hot summer nights with the bedroom windows open around 1 or 2 at night, sometimes you could hear the biggest baddest burnouts off in the distance. We were definitely a car culture then. Saturday nights until 10 or so, we could sometimes hear fuelers, funny cars, and fuel altereds from the original Irwindale Raceway about eight or ten miles away.Sounds of our youth!!

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Harley K Model.jpg Harley K Model1.jpg Took these pics at the motorcycle museum in Invercargill. This model was the predecessor to the Harley Sportster which started production in 1957. Note the tall aluminum heads on the 45 CI engine. This motor was used in flat track racing also. My first Harley was a 1953 K model that I bought in 1966 for $275... I rode that thing all over. Back then you didn't see many bikes on the road. You either saw a grubby HD rider or maybe someone on a Honda. Honda was the best thing that ever happened to Harley....they forced them to build a dependable, maintenance free machine. Riding a Honda is like having a fat girlfriend...........they're fun to ride, but you don't want to be seen with them.............:winner:winner:winner:winner

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
View attachment 57079 View attachment 57080 Took these pics at the motorcycle museum in Invercargill. This model was the predecessor to the Harley Sportster which started production in 1957. Note the tall aluminum heads on the 45 CI engine. This motor was used in flat track racing also. My first Harley was a 1953 K model that I bought in 1966 for $275... I rode that thing all over. Back then you didn't see many bikes on the road. You either saw a grubby HD rider or maybe someone on a Honda. Honda was the best thing that ever happened to Harley....they forced them to build a dependable, maintenance free machine. Riding a Honda is like having a fat girlfriend...........they're fun to ride, but you don't want to be seen with them.............:winner:winner:winner:winner
And when is this dependable Harley coming out? Or did you mean a Harley that comes with a depends to lay on the ground when you park?