Old master cylinders have any value?

bobs409

Administrator
More specifically, old brake master cylinders with some pitting in the bore? Is there any hope for them when they get pits? Do they ever get sleeved? Only the purists will want a single master cylinder but thought I'd ask if they are savable.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Value for expensive cars that remain original, run of the mill Chevy, Ford etc probably very, very little value. BUT you never know.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can buy sleeves for them for the resto guys. If it could be for a vette, worth money. The one from my 63 vette was the ugliest pos but someone paid me $100 for it back in 2009 because it had a good casting and date code. I had it ready to toss.

Junky

Well Known Member
The old master cylinders can be sleeved, and the cost is about $100. They can be done in both stainless steel or brass. My preference is brass. I have used Apple Hydraulics to sleeve many a cylinder. The 1962 master has a thumb screw for the top, and the 1963/64 has the bail wire to hold the top on. I was told, however, I have not seen one in person, that in 1962, there were two different master cylinders, one for power brakes, and one for manual brakes. The difference being in the lower part of the casting. The only ones that I have in my collection of junk parts all came from Corvairs, which in all outward appearances is the same as its big brother, the full size car. Even the rebuild kit is the same.

bobs409

Administrator
My 63 has the thumbscrew and I think it's correct. Since I have a mill and lathe, I wonder if I could sleeve them myself? Can't be that hard to do. :dunno2

I could even start doing them for others at $50 each! :D

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll sell you that master cylinder after a bit and you can make the big bucks on it. It will be dual reservoir and discs when the time comes!!