Old nasty exhaust manifolds

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Mixed 50/50, it works way better than any of the commercial stuff. The Deep Creep is pretty good. We get a product called Rust Chek, it prevents rust and creeps into seams and bolt threads. It has no petroleum products in it so you can use it with a torch.

Don

The acetone and atf WORKS. Its the best iv,e ever used. ;)

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I would also recommend six point sockets or wrenches only. Twelve points will likely only round the rusty old nuts/bolts.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I ha
The acetone and atf WORKS. Its the best iv,e ever used. ;)

I hate to sound like everyone's mother but the stuff that works the best is also the most dangerous to your body. The torch is best and the acetone and atf is the second best if you don't want to torch it. Acetone from what I read is nasty stuff. It soaks right through your skin and causes cancer and all kinds of crap. It's why I don't like telling people I don't know that acetone and atf is a really good mix. There is another product called Kroil. It would be 3rd on my list and it's not so harmful to your body. I had a old farmer tell me about Kroil. He told me that he restored old farm tractors that sat outside for decades and that the bolts were rusted on tighter than I could imagine. So I tried it. He was right, it works pretty good.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Here is the results from CDC test of Acetone on humans.
Human data: Volunteers experienced slight irritation at 300 ppm but 500 ppm was tolerated [Nelson et al. 1943]. Eye irritation, headache, lightheadedness, nasal irritation, and throat irritation were noted in workers exposed to concentrations considerably in excess of 1,000 ppm and perhaps as high as 6,500 ppm [Raleigh and McGee 1972]. No indications of toxicity were reported following exposures to 2,100 ppm for 8 hours/day [Haggard et al. 1944].

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I suppose I should quit cleaning the grease off my hands with Brake Clean.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The airline I worked for got their acetone in 55 gal. drums and used it for cleaning. We used it to clean the luggage compartments. Got plenty strong in there.:crazy Leo

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think it can get in your kidneys and shut them down if you get too much exposure over a short period of time, same as a solvent like turpentine, paint thinner, etc. But it takes a lot of exposure.

Don't wash your hands with any of this stuff, it all goes through your skin into the organs. Fuel truck drivers have been wearing gloves for years now for this reason.

Don

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I have used acetone, alcohol, liquid freon,brakekleen,mineral spirits,gasoline,lacquer thinner,prepsol,enamel reducer, etc. for years on my bare hands. They have also been submersed/covered in grease and motor oil as well too many times to count. At 50 years old I now am showing severe exczema/psoriasis and cracking of the skin. I can't attribute it directly to this but I will say I do attempt to use vinyl or latex gloves now when I think of it ahead of time when changing motor oil etc. Of course I have had metal removed from my eyes numerous times, have a hearing loss due to industrial noise,ventilation, grinding,13 years of auto racing, 60K miles of Harley riding with straight pipes, chainsaws and other industrial equipment etc. I am also blessed with arthritis, tendonitis, burcitis etc. as well. All products of a blue collar hands on lifestyle. It seems like sometimes the better something works, the more hazarous it is, and when it really works good, they stop making it.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, after hearing all this nasty stuff about the chemicals, the aspect of fire with the fire wrench, broken studs and all I'm almost convinced not to take off the exhaust manifold at all. I'm wondering ( I'm thinking to my self here) if I was to use my dremmel tool with a grinder or wire wheel, could I make any headway on cleaning up the exhaust manifold ? Any other suggestions ?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, after hearing all this nasty stuff about the chemicals, the aspect of fire with the fire wrench, broken studs and all I'm almost convinced not to take off the exhaust manifold at all. I'm wondering ( I'm thinking to my self here) if I was to use my dremmel tool with a grinder or wire wheel, could I make any headway on cleaning up the exhaust manifold ? Any other suggestions ?
Gee I wonder if there could be any hazards to your health with that approach. Just put a frigging wrench on it a take it off or find another hobby.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
All I'm saying is, I don't want more work than I have to. It's like opening that can of worms and not knowing what you'll get, or is that a box of chocolates, anyway , we have all been in those situations and I 'm just trying minimize it by crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's. Thats the way I am and always been that way. I thought that this is why I joined this forum, to get expert advise from people who enjoy these machines as much as I do. I might not be top notch, or knowing everything about them but I do try to understand and want to gain the knowledge. I might not be as young as I used to be, and I admit, I have forgotten alot of over the years, but I still enjoy talking and taking care of these machines every day. I don't want any other hobby. Thank you :D

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
most of us used these chemicals a long time ago. i believe if you are over say 55, we used them when they
did not have all those big letter or colored warnings. jim

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Randy, there's just no way to side-step the problem of rusty exhaust bolts. They need to be replaced, they are only going to get thinner and weaker over time. Sooner or later, they need to come off. All of the old motors have this issue, maybe FE Fords are the worst, and Mopars are close. If the bolt breaks, most machine shops have their own little tricks for fixing the problem. I'd tackle it now, use all of the nasty chemicals, and hope for the best. If the job gets a little bigger, so be it. At least when it's over, you will know that it was done right. Every time I try to half-a$$ something, it only gets worse! JMO

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carb cleaning, I use SIMPLE GREEN full strength. Use all the time on Harley carbs. Cleans and makes getting all passages clean. Works for cars too. Just let it soak and slosh around once and while.