Old pictures

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Trying to post some stuff Barry recently came across.
004-2.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Those are awesome!!!! Does Barry know how the matchup with the Wickersham Ford came out? Taylor Z-11 3 Wickersham Ford 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great stuff. Would love to hear more history about Buddy Taylor and see more pictures of the car! :cheers

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Real cool flyers Ronnie, was at San Antonio Drag Raceway hundreds of times back in the day. If you had a real fast car and brakes or chute failed, you went off about a 4-5 foot enbankment at the end of track and if you were really flying, you went off the enbankment, thru a barb wire fence and into a county road.:cuss
By The date on the flyer Aug of 63, I was living in Odessa, Tx and racing at Hobbs, NM. I have a old Flyer from San Antonio Nov & Dec of 1964 featuring Phil Bonner-427-Falcon and Ray Trevethan of Ft. Worth-426 Valiant.
Real "COOL" loved the old days!:dance

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
W Head, are you still in the Odessa area?? I have a friend in that area, thought maybe you and he have crossed paths?

Lonnie

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
W Head, are you still in the Odessa area?? I have a friend in that area, thought maybe you and he have crossed paths?

Lonnie

No, left Odessa in late 1964 to go back to school in Dallas, was back in Odessa this past summer. What is your friends name?
start a conversation, don't want to screw up Ronnie's thread.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:scratch Ronnie I called a couple of the for sale numbers and got no answers. The computer operator kept saying call could not completed as dialed.:laugh

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm working on trying to get copies of the following weeks newsletters for the outcome of that race and maybe some more results on other races dad had run thru the years. These are the original flyers and were very well preserved. These came from the archives of the late Vance Hunt whom a friend of mine had access to. I really don't think the ford won, but back in those days angthing could happen. Jim I'm not good on the computer, picture thing but thanks to Ronnie it happens. More pictues to come soon I hope. Wayne, Ray trevethan was from Garland and had a auto repair shop there. I grew up with his kids. The valiant you saw he bought used and transplanted the motor from his big car at the time and raced it for a year. When he was thru with it he put the 6 cyl. motor, trans, and rear end back in it. He had cut the rear quarters out for tire clearance, so he found some fender skirts that would work with a little more messaging, and sold the car to a little old man and woman in Garland. I saw that car many times for years after that. Ray was a great engine builder, tuner and craftsman. My fathers friend, mechanic, engine builder Dan Dean knew Bill Thomas and Bill pulled the right strings to get dad the car thru Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas. Dad pulled the motor from the Impala and grafted it in to a 62 Chevy II. He put a 327 and a three speed trans. from a corvette in the Impala and sold it to local racer from Garland and he sold the car to a friend of Ronnies, who traded the car off latter on. Car has supposedly been crushed many tears ago, I mean years ago. Dad mach raced the chevy II around the Texas area some but it only had rear brakes . He was raceing Ray Trevethan in his 426 wedge Valiant at some small track in east Texas and ran of the end of the track several times and I beleave It was then he decided to hang it up. He sold the car complete and that was it. No Mas. more to come, Barry Taylor

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Barry, attached are the old SA flyers about Ray Trevethan.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Attachments

• scan0001 (Small).jpg
    scan0001 (Small).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 9
  • scan0002 (Small).jpg
    scan0002 (Small).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 8
  • scan0003 (Small).jpg
    scan0003 (Small).jpg