Old Pictures

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have 3 more old pictures I have carried for years. These are 40 years old. Taken in October of 1963, the day after we got back from our first trip to Clay City, Kentucky. The one with the trophys was taken in front of the house we lived in I would say in 64. I was gone most of 64 to play with Uncle Sam. Had joined the Ohio Air National Guard in Sept, 63. Left for basic training on May 1, 1964.

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Near the same time. Tow bar is still on the car in both pictures. In those days, if you towed on a tow bar, you were in tall cotton! Today, you have to have a $200,00.00 transporter, double stacked. I think we had more fun!

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is the result of a lot of hard work. But, like my father always told me, You can't eat them! Was fun getting them, though!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Fred,
Thanks for sharing the photo's, really enjoyed seeing them. I graduated from high school in '62 an bought a '63 409-400 in 63 so they bring back lots of memories.

Tommy :)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
FRED

GREAT PICTURES!!!!! Love to see stuff like that.

How did you get to California and meet Hayden? That has to be a story also!!!! Would like to hear it!!

Phil

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fred -

Thanks. Took me back. Wish I had done as well when I raced back then. Or even after that. Maybe you can't eat them, but they are food for the soul.

Michael

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Trophies are better than money or cases of oil. If you're smart you'll keep them forever. I wish that strips would give you the option of trophy or money. They always will make you feel good when you need a lift just by looking at them. Mine are showing wear and age but I still can remember when I won.:cheers Roy

Fred, thanks for post'n:cheers

It sure DOES look like it was more fun !

Trophies ?
YOU BET !
ALWAYS better than money !
I ran my old hot rodded flathead Ford coupe at a nostalgia meet about 13 years ago. 8 rounds of eliminations... rain started in the final... tied for 1st place. The officials split the prize money to us, and we flipped a coin for the trophy. Yeah, I lost the toss:cuss
I offerered the other fellow my share of the prize money for the trophy...
It wasn't an option !