Old pictures

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Barry found a few old pictures some may enjoy. The only pictures of Buddy Taylor's Z-11 car....... One includes Barry's brother, Brad.

Attachments

• DSCF0665.jpg
    DSCF0665.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF0666.jpg
    DSCF0666.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF0667.jpg
    DSCF0667.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 451

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1957 S/S car NHRA race at Great Bend, Kansas. Barry still has trophy. Will have to check trophy to see if it was 1958 or 1959. In one of the pictures is Barry with his dad, Buddy. The car won not only S/S but also Top Eliminator. Pretty neat.

Attachments

• DSCF0662.jpg
    DSCF0662.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF0663.jpg
    DSCF0663.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 126

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1962 Chev, ,,, raced in west Texas in both A/S and B/s. Owned and driven by a man by the name of Coke Royal. Buddy and Barry bought the car in 1969 for $900. Barry still has this car today and is hidden away in storage.

Attachments

• DSCF0660.jpg
    DSCF0660.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF0661.jpg
    DSCF0661.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 176

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ronnie,
The background of that second pic of the 62 looks familiar. Is that Green Valley?:scratch

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for sharing Ronnie.

Its always nice to see this kind of stuff being posted. :deal

Ron

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, I cant be sure. The car was raced primarily in Amarillo. but did make some trips to Green Valley. Coke Royal now lives in this area so maybe Barry can ask him. The last I heard, Coke was in poor health, so I hope he is still with us.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, I cant be sure. The car was raced primarily in Amarillo. but did make some trips to Green Valley. Coke Royal now lives in this area so maybe Barry can ask him. The last I heard, Coke was in poor health, so I hope he is still with us.

My memory isn't that good but I went to GV for the 61 or 62 AHRA Nats with my buddy in his new 62 340hp Vette. We had a great time and that scenery looks a lot like I remember it.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Great pictures Ronnie!!!

Tell Barry that Coke called me about 3 weeks ago. He sounded OK. When I told him about Delmer's West Texas Drag Race Reunion...he sure wished he could have been there!! But he knew all the names of the 409 racers that were either there or invited. He left his address with Delmer so he could be invited to the next one.

Love the picutres!!!! Thanks Barry!!!!

PS: Ronnie............can you add a copy of the invoice of the Z-11 heads that Barry's dad bought????? Barry sent me a copy recently. Something like $269...wasn't it????!!!!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
thanks for the pictures. Some of mine don't have trophy's though....Years ago I threw most of mine away from my N.C. days(there weren't that many trophys):roll :roll
robert

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nice pix, Ronnie. I notice the 62 has a 421 on the side. It must be a .060 over 409. :clap Skip:)

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
G V

Ronnie,
The background of that second pic of the 62 looks familiar. Is that Green Valley?:scratch

Cecil, I raced at Green Valley from 58 thru 66 and I don't believe the picture was taken there.

Great pictures Ronnie!!

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've been very interested in '63 Z-11's for a long time and have done a lot of research on them. I'm pretty sure that the Friendly Chevrolet car was shipped to Japan after its' restoration several years ago. The car was found without its' original engine but the owner knew that the engine had been put into an Anglia. So the Anglia was purchased and the motor was reunited with the car again, making it a real numbers-matching Z-11. After it went to Japan, who knows if it will ever be seen again? A shame.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the input Mark, The car was sold to a friend of mine by the name of Mike Lockett. He bought from Buddy Taylor. Mike put a 327-4sp in the car and used to visit me at the parts-house I worked at. Mike sold the car within a year and then nobody seems to know where it went. I'm sure you are aware that there were more than 1 Friendly Chevrolet dealerships. Any information you have on the Friendly ( Dallas ) car would be appreciated by Barry Taylor. Especially pictures. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Ronnie,
Wow, small world, I sold my first 62 bubbletop to Lockett, I think around 65 or 66, for $400. I heard he put a 327 4spd in it. Do you remember that car ?

Rusty

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Ronnie
thanx for the memories...........:beerbang

always great to see pix like these.....:cool:

:cheers
bj