old round n round cars

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
hrlykngt,
Thanks for posting the roundy round pictures. Some of them were taken in "my neck of the woods" also. I'm about 30 miles from Southside Speedway in Richmond Va. I owned cars that raced there throughout the seventies and early eighties. Those photo's of Carl Burris really brought back memories. When I was a teenager, I worked at a filling station that was on the main road going to Southside and Carl Burris would stop there on Friday evenings as he was on his way to the races. I remember well the 36 coupe with the full grille and hood. He was a nice guy. I remember one friday night, he stopped and was showing me the motor in the coupe. He had blown the small block the week before and so he removed the 350 horse 348 from his personal 61 Impala and put it in the coupe for one race. If I remember correctly, he won the race that night. Anyway, thanks

bobs409

Administrator
There is a small track not far from where I live too. When I think of how many great cars were lost to this I cringe! :eek: :mad:

I saw many 64-72 Chevelles on trailers going to the track on Friday nights in my teen years. Now a days, I see some late 70's Camaro's but mostly the 78+monte's and Malibu's.

I've never been a fan of this sport probably because I love the cars they chop up too much. What a waste! :cuss

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Ah Bob

We did not destroy but a few 1000. I have been try to fig out what's New now that will be worth something on down the road.

Story

Friend and I was going to make a Oval Car in 67 when a track open up about 20 miles from us. One monday evening he told me to go out and get the 56 chev,bring in and we would strip it down, He had bought it over wk end.

I went out all I saw was a 56 4 dr. hardtop with a Continental kit.
Heck look pertect, So I went back inside and told him the only one I saw was the 4 dr HT . He said that's it, Started up drove in Shop.

End of story.

Dale