One Run Slicks

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Back in 76 I was rebuilding my 57 Harley Pan/Shovel and put a set of cylinders in the oven with fresh black wrinkle paint to cure.
That stunk up the house something awful! Exhaust fan helped.
The practice wife wasn't too happy bout that.
I still have the bike, her, not so much.
Did the same thing back in the early 70's with wrinkle paint.
Every winter the Harley used to come into the living room for a spit shine. We were living in an upstairs apartment one time and I hauled all the parts upstairs after a frame down paint job, and put one together there. I even laced the back wheel on that one. We lowered it down the stairs with a rope, but the story around town was that I rode it down. People make up lots of stories.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It went something like this
" this crazy biker who is 8 feet tall, crushes rocks with his bare hands and can shoot the eyes out of a ground hog at 400 paces with a bow and arrow built up a bike in the 3rd floor of his house and just for fun rode it out the door and down 3 flights of stairs just to test the brakes.
Then he went off to a bar and did a burn out in the bar just to smoke every one else out so he had room for his bike and a beer"

or something like that

Steve

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It went something like this
" this crazy biker who is 8 feet tall, crushes rocks with his bare hands and can shoot the eyes out of a ground hog at 400 paces with a bow and arrow built up a bike in the 3rd floor of his house and just for fun rode it out the door and down 3 flights of stairs just to test the brakes.
Then he went off to a bar and did a burn out in the bar just to smoke every one else out so he had room for his bike and a beer"

or something like that

Steve
Kinda like the drunken dirt bike races we had on the 3rd floor of the BOQ on Guam in 69-70. Rode them up the stairs on knobbies then raced up and down the hall til the SP's (Shore Patrol) put a stop to it. Seems some lightweight was trying to sleep or something.
How did I ever survive my misguided youth?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
A "friend" was defrosting the fridge in our bachelor pad with a butcher knife. What could go wrong??? One we got the door closed enough to stand the leaking freon it ended up downstairs on the sidewalk out front on main street. Everyone claimed we threw it out the window. More rumors..... I left and went spotlighting rabbits. Shot out of the car window with a .22 and a cooler of beer was a necessity. I didn't have slicks on the car.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I was setting up a 12 bolt for a buddy who was building a 68 Chevelle like mine-new spool, new 5.38 gears, new bolts, everything. Couldn't get that ring gear on the new spool to save our lives. My wife was at work, it was 11 AM on a Friday, I put the ring gear in the dishwasher with a bunch of pots and pans, and the spool went into the freezer. We went to Maria's Mexican Food in Glendora for lunch. An hour later, I got the ring gear out, it was too hot to touch, so I left it flange face up on the assembly table, got the spool out and it had frost on it, so I set it in the center of the gear and used three 3/8"x2" SAE bolts as pullers to slip the gear on over the new flange on the spool.It went on fairly easily, and the hot ring gear very quickly melted the frost on the spool. I installed and torqued the final assembly bolts, that rear end set up and turned out fine. One trick we did was to determine the exact thicknesses of the side bearing shims, added about .002" to both sides, put the ring gear and spool assembly back into the freezer, when cold, the shims slipped in perfectly, then after the temperatures of all those parts stabilized, we had preload. Worked great!!

Last edited: