oops a problem

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I guess we are headed for the winter doldrums and don't know what to do with our time. I was very impressed with that wall of manifolds and the ceiling of air cleaners. I'm going to go the other way with my wall of oops. Now these objects are from another era so don't try to compare with the Eagles and such of today. These were good stuff 40 + years ago as they had "football bolts" Anyone know what they were from? One was in a boat that had a following sea force water into the jacketed headers and the motor hydrolocked. The other was the victim of a broken retainer.
robert
CIMG5203.jpg

CIMG5204.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
You sure haven't spent all of your time playing in the dyno rooms of Cummings:roll Anyway the top rod is before the boss engines and is out of a 66 427 built for marine performance use until it hydrolocked:eek: the bottom was a 429 built for a Mustang that dropped a valve because of a retainer.(I think it was overrevved:D:D) no longer have the piston but believe me it was a mess.
robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert, the rod/pretzel, on the right has a "Blue Oval" No? :dunno

yeah Ray it does have the oval from "another life" A little known company in Charlotte North Carolina built performance off shore boat engines many years ago based on the 427 F**d. The company name was Holman & Moody. Daytona Marine did their work with 409's then later 427 Chevies. Later Flagship Marine in Long Island did allot of development for GM. Most know Holman & Moody for their work in NASCAR and with the original GT-40 427 engines at LeMans.
I will have to dig for my off shore pictures. When the boats are full of fuel and headed out rough inlets for race morning they mostly are "sinking" because of the stern weight...anyway this one got stern to a following sea and the rest is history as they say.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Robert,
Cummins is just my job.:brow:deal:D
Got to pay for stuff ... you know:dunno
I have messed with alot of different things over the years, but mostly I read alot how to books and ID books. I can't afford the hi end stuff so I just dream. I'm big into Chevy:coffee: Buick and Ford.
You say the top rod is for a 66 427.... how come the date/casting is D0OE?? That should be 1970?

My dads Mustang and my brothers Buick

Attachments

• DSC03710 copy.jpg
    DSC03710 copy.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC03640 copy.jpg
    DSC03640 copy.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_2499.jpg
    _MG_2499.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 53

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That buick looks very interesting. as for the rod date I always thought that block was dated 66 and that rod or all rods might have come later as it had been through several hands. too many brain cells have passed. That rod had it's "issues: in 71-72
I'm hearing the local trucking community saying good things about a new engine that you guys either have out or have recently released.
robert