Opening trunk without key

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
While reflecting on years ago an event occurred with friends of our family. They had a 59 Pontiac Bonneville and a 52-53 Chevy Belair. One day the father went to his office in the old Chevy and realized he had I believe was his wife’s keys and the ignition lock was the same key for both vehicles. An old story you never forgot.
Robert

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I made, the dangerous squeeze, into my trunk, many times, as a 145 lb. kid. :dunno Piece of cake.:applOne day, six years ago, I needed to do it again.:eek3 Took the back seat out, gathered my flashlight, screwdriver, ratchet and sockets. Shimmied in there. Wow, pretty tight now.:doh 187 lb. couch potato.:teehee Two mounted tires, blocking my forward progress. Tried backing out, but fat belly didn't want to.:dropGetting a little nervous.:eek1 80 * outside, probably 95* inside trunk. For a few moments, I laid there, thinking about my wife looking for me, and finding me in there, 3 or 4 hours later, with my legs, sticking out:eek3Said a few prayers, got some strength, and made it to the trunk lid, and used the screw driver, and the trunk opened. Thank You, Jesus.:pray When I got out, I went in the house, and drank a gallon of cold water.:clap My wife said to me, "where were you, I was looking for you. I thought you were, up in the front yard. Why is your face SO RED?:confused:laugh2

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Up until 62 GM used two separate keys one for ignition lock and doors. The other the trunk. The keys weren’t interchangeable unless you did tricks with found lock cylinders. In 62 GM used one key for everything and if you compare the keys that 62 key wouldn’t fit anything earlier as I remember.
Robert
1961 Bel-Air & Biscayne only had 1 key. At least all 12 that I have owned.

Junky

Well Known Member
If the doors have the same lock you can take a door lock cylinder to a key shop and and have one made, that should fit the trunk, if the locks havn't been changed.
You can also remove the rear seat and send someone in to remove the latch from inside.
Pull a door lock and use that number to make an ignition key.
Lock on the glove box door?

A recap of all the relevant suggestions from page 1

Junky

Well Known Member
Sorry fellows, Junky can't respond, because we have given him a sedative, and put him into a straight jacket. Possibly in a couple of days, if he behaves, we will remove the restraints, and allow him a few minutes on the computer. His mental and physical health is of utmost importance right now, not his commentaries.

Junky

Well Known Member
I found some pictures that might make it easier for you to get the lock number. On the 1962 Chevrolet wagon, the door lock is held in by a clip that is accessible without removing the inside door panel. Using a small screwdriver, you can gently pry loose the clip that holds the lock cylinder in place, and then pull the lock cylinder out far enough to get the number. The only time that this will not work, is if the door lock cylinder has been replaced with a service cylinder, that come uncoded, and the dealer or locksmith codes it. Rarely are these cylinders hand engraved with the key number.
Someone mentioned taking the glove box lock apart to get the cylinder. Problem with that is, you can remove the lock itself, but getting the cylinder out, can be a daunting task for the average person that doesn't understand how it is held in place. I would take the glove box door to the locksmith, and he will know how to get it apart without damage. The door is still the easiest way to get the number.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Yea I already know how to get a cylinder out. Just that this car is a parts car and I really wasn't looking at adding the expense of making a key.

Junky

Well Known Member
You could drill down the center of the trunk lock, and destroy the tumblers in the lock, and then use a screwdriver to turn it. It isn't exacly the best method, but it will get it open and preserve the lid. If you get a key made by number the cost would be less than $10 usually at most locksmiths, and then you will have a lock and key that you can sell. In fact, since Chevrolet uses only one key, you could take the door, glove box and ignition cylinder / locks out, and sell them as a complete set with a key.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am a factory option sucker so I put the factory vacuum trunk release in both of my 65's and in both of my 63's so I never have to worry about that again. Engine does not have to be on you just pump the plunger in the glove box and bamm the trunk opens!!

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks all. I think I am going to try the stack of extensions first then I will crawl in. Once I get the trunk open the next trick is trying to remove the ignition switch without a key.

Use the extensions !!! ( works well) No need to crawl into the trunk !!
I still have a set of those master keys somewhere.
Ken