Opinions...please!

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a '61 bubbletop with a worked 348 and 700R4. I am planning to purchase and install A/C over the winter...but have run into a "problem area" before ordering any parts. Looking at Vintage Air units amd planned on purchasing a complete unit which replaces the existing heater and heater case and has a "built-in" look for the a/c vents. Nice looking unit!
Also thinking about the " nostalgic look " which mounts a chrome A/C unit under the center of the dash,leaving the original heating system intact.
Opinions? I'm torn between original "nostalgic" look and the newer,clean looking "built-in" look.
Thanks for your thoughts ideas and opinions! Ken Smith

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My experiences with the under dash units is they never work very well and are noisy. Plus under the dash was more a norm for Fords and cars of earlier years. In 1961 the AC was built in.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Both are aftermarket units. Resale would be the same for either one. Pick the one that"you" like. Only purists will spot the bogus unit.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
We intalled a Vintage Air unit in a 63 factory air car....used the factory controls...modified with electric switches...and factory vents. It replaced the heater and factory ac. Beautiful piece. I bet they offer the same for a factory air unit 61. You'ld just have to find the factory dash parts.

I would go with the build in look.Even in late '60 s cars,the under dash system did not look right.In an older car the thing looks even more out of place.Only my opinion...