Opinions

Hello everyone,

Well I wanted to get some opinions. I was wanting to purchasing a rebuildable TH350 for my 58', I was going to do the rebuild since I've never done one before, but I've got a chance to buy a wrecked 90' Silverado with a 350 and 700r4 for $500. The 700R has been rebuilt about 4 months ago at 220,000 miles and has less than 2000 miles since the rebuild. I can get a rebuildable TH350 for $75 plus whatever the cost is for the rebuilt kit. I want the car to be dead reliable, and I've heard of guys having "issues" having a 700r4, and I've had vehicles with the TH350 with no problems, but never owned one with a 700r4. I honestly don't even really need the overdrive as I won't be driving it on long road trips, but the opportunity arose and wanted to know what others think. :dunno

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Yes, I had issues with the 700r4's back in that era. But I was towing and probably abused some of them. I believe that GM made a significant change in them along that time and they became much more reliable. Check the many tansmission sites/shops as they would best know. Good Luck I would still go through the transmission and freshen it and check it before install.
robert