Ordered A Lift

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
You’ll love it. When we built new house, put in trayed ceiling - 16/18 feet. Bought four post Forward lift made by Rotary. Makes life a lot easier. Only problem, my head has taken a few “shots”. Two days ago it knocked me flat out on the floor when I thought I was all the way out from under the end when I wasn’t. :wacko

Fuzz

MAGA

....same here with the head knocker...:bonk....bought a couple 'soft bump' hats - problem solved.......:good

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Now that the four door is back together, I started to place my lift posts. After a dry run all cars and my truck seem to work with the posts set as seen here. I'll share everything up tomorrow and start drilling holes. Don't look beyond the lift posts at the s#!t hole of a messy shop. :confused20190706_113256.jpg20190706_113233.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don't you need 6" reinforced concrete to secure the bolts on that lift? ( at least around the mounting bolts ) I thought that's what was required in the shops I worked at. Just thinking of your safety is all.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I bought my Champion lift 9k lbs they recommended 5in minimum thickness of concrete, and they also recommended that if you could drill all the way through the floor it was best when installing the anchors. And do not use an impact to tighten the nuts on the anchors. When I had my shop built I had them poor the floor a minimum of 5 in thick. No problems with that at all! :winner
Congratulations Jim you will love it.:cloud!!!!!!!20190618_165838.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't you need 6" reinforced concrete to secure the bolts on that lift? ( at least around the mounting bolts ) I thought that's what was required in the shops I worked at. Just thinking of your safety is all.
I believe The lift manufacturer calls for a minimum of 4" of 3000 psi concrete. I've got approximately 6" of 4000 psi concrete. I should be good. The lift capacity is 6000 pounds, which is probably why the minimum is so low?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I bought my Champion lift 9k lbs they recommended 5in minimum thickness of concrete, and they also recommended that if you could drill all the way through the floor it was best when installing the anchors. And do not use an impact to tighten the nuts on the anchors. When I had my shop built I had them poor the floor a minimum of 5 in thick. No problems with that at all! :winner
Congratulations Jim you will love it.:cloud!!!!!!!View attachment 72171
I saw the same info on drilling trough the floor. If an anchor gets buggered up, you can drive it through into the dirt, otherwise you need to move the lift to new holes as the anchors apparently don't come back out.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim:
That looks to be a short unit. How high does it lift?
John
John, It lifts to four foot maximum height. I have just under 10' ceilings plus the garage door opener in that bay, so I can't use a full height lift. I was just looking for an alternative to the floor jack and jack stands(pinch my finger dropping the jack stand a week before I ordered this:wacko) and this lift seems to be perfect for me. Time will tell.

P.S. I think it will also work great for lifting bodies of frames for my restoration projects. I'll set floor anchors in all three bays.:D

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim, two of my most used tools! I don't always raise my car all the way to the top of my lift, sometimes sitting down and rolling around on a very comfortable chair and using a cart to put everything in makes things much easier.:dance this chair that a friend of mine gave me is so comfortable and supports my back and no pains or aches. Just a thought and yes they work Wonderful for lifting bodies!20190707_101430.jpg20190202_112913.jpg

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
After 50 years old, our bodies start giving us signs, that they don't want to lay on hard surfaces, anymore.:doh Lifts are the only way to go. The ceiling in my garage, is around 10 feet tall.:doh I can't raise my Chevy up, high enough to stand up either. I have to sit down under my car also.:dunno2Fine with me. Sitting, is better than laying on the ground. :rolleyesGood luck with your new lift, Jim.:appl

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
To bolt the posts down, the instructions say to drill 2" deep 5/8" pilot holes with the posts in place. After the first set of holes, it was a little difficult keeping the bit centered in the holes. So I whipped up a little centering tool from a couple pieces of pipe scraps I had laying around. Worked perfect.20190707_124253.jpg20190707_124322.jpgAnd my Harbor Freight hammer drop and a couple drill bits I sourced off of Ebay, made quick work drilling the 10 anchor holes.20190707_124301.jpgNow I'll have to order several more sets of anchors for the other two bays.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Congratulations on your new lift. I'm sure you'll love it. Everything I ever read, states that for a two post lift, the concrete should be at least 6" thick, a minimum of 3000 lb psi and reinforced with rebar. I guess you have to follow the instructions of the manufacturer of that particular lift. And don't forget your jack stands. Can't be safe enough while underneath our cars, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Congratulations on your new lift. I'm sure you'll love it. Everything I ever read, states that for a two post lift, the concrete should be at least 6" thick, a minimum of 3000 lb psi and reinforced with rebar. I guess you have to follow the instructions of the manufacturer of that particular lift. And don't forget your jack stands. Can't be safe enough while underneath our cars, Carmine.
I believe the minimum concrete recommendation from the lift manufacturer is due to the lower weight capacity and low lift height. But I did measure the concrete after drilling the holes and I have 5 1/2" as I remember my brother pouring the floors that thick when we built the garage. So, I've got plenty for this lift.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It would be interesting to know if the concrete thickness is related to the down pressure or the pull of the lift???

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It would be interesting to know if the concrete thickness is related to the down pressure or the pull of the lift???
Good question. Thinking out loud here, I believe it might be the down pressure exerted on the towers as the car goes up. Would the pressure also be the same regardless of the height you choose to elevate the car?? For example, would the downward pressure, when you have the lift locked into the height you want and stable, be the same regardless if 4' high or 6' high??