ordered headers, looking for cam

hotshoe

Supporting Member 1
thanks for the inputs on headers, I have since
ordered them. now i would like to get a cam using stock valve train componets that has a lopey idle. engine is stock 409 340hp 4sp manual steering and brakes. any suggestions on this?

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Call up Comp Cams tech line and tell them what you want and they will grind you one. Probably the other manufacturers will do the same thing. Years ago I called Isky and the tech set me up with a super roller cam. Just remember duration gives you lumpy idle and runs the torque up the rpm band so you need to go down with gears or it will fall flat on it's face. :) Roy

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Comp Cams EX268 or EX274 would get my vote. The 268 has 224-230 duration @.050 with a 110 LSA, The EX274 has 230-236 @.050 also with 110 LSA. Or you could you could custom order the 268 grind with a 108 LSA this would give you a pretty rumpety idle that would clear up quickly and really pull hard through the midrange. I'd also install any of these at 108 deg.
But your best bet would be not to listen to guys like me and see what Aubrey has to say, I think he dreams about cams. http://www.compcams.com/catalog/092_093.html

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Aubrey,,,,?,,Dreams,,,?,,, I think he deals in REALITY !!! LOL !!

What, Whaaaaaaaaaat ?:D
I didn't do it:p
I just like cams !

Great suggestions guys. All I would add is that with the stock valve springs, you will need to limit lift and peak RPM.
Hotshoe, I find that the stock 340HP 409 dual valve spring will not tolerate anything more than about .490" lift, and maybe 5500 RPM. You may have to upgrade to a stronger spring combination. A set of new pushrods with the stock rockers will be fine up to .560" lift. The cam profiles that the guys have suggested will get you what you're looking for, but remember to watch your lift on the stock springs.

My recommendation for an otherwise stock 340HP ( and I would never change an original car:cool: ! ), would be:
.500" - .540" lift
218-228 dur @ .050 ( no more than 270 advertised duration )
On a 110, or even a 108 centre line.
With this cam you won't need more than about 110 lbs spring pressure on the seat.
RPM range would be about 2000 - 5200. And would be decent on fuel ( especially with a 110 C/L ).