Original tire question for 63 Impala

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just can't see paying that kind of money for a old style primitive tire that hunt's all the crack's in the road, been there done that. I guess each to their own thing. My full set of radial's were $350.00.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
$ 350.00 vs 900.-1000..? hmmmm I'm thinking the same thing blkblk63, a good ride, good looks and a reasonable price, just like Papa Johns pizza. If your showing it, now thats a different thing. I wonder how the rich do it...? lol
:burnout:brow

bobs409

Administrator
Just when I was getting settle back to possibly going with the bias ply's, I come here. Now I'm undecided again! This is killing me! :facepalm:thud

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Am on internet looking at tires made by Diamond Back Classic Radials, there in Conway SC. Its worth looking at their products. Maybe pick 3 o 4
tires you like and write their names down and put in a HAT.... then pick one......lol.......Any idea how tall tires should be for 800 x 14 - 6"rims.?
:teehee

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Am on internet looking at tires made by Diamond Back Classic Radials, there in Conway SC. Its worth looking at their products. Maybe pick 3 o 4
tires you like and write their names down and put in a HAT.... then pick one......lol.......Any idea how tall tires should be for 800 x 14 - 6"rims.?
:teehee
B.F. Goodrich 800x 14 are 27.6" tall. The Goodyear are 28.5", that's why I use the Goodyears, I like a tall tire

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Do you run the same size for front and back?. I have two 15" and two 14" rims I think both are 5", and a few 14 x 6 JK wheels. Will the speedometer
be affected by changing the size of rim or tire.? So many questions.....I wonder how a jacked up Bel Air would look with those 32 rims.?
:drinking

bobs409

Administrator
Somebody out there probably has done it. :facepalm

Speedometer will change with the diameter of the tire. Smaller will make it spin faster and larger will be slower.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Would a 29"- 235 x75R-15 on the back and a 27.7 " - 215x75R-15 on the front work?. The 62's have a such a huge wheel well up front and a small tire just isnt going to fill it. Im also thinking radials with 1" white walls. I do like the mean look of black walls, guess I'll save my nickles and dimes, for some bias b/walls, only another 1000.00 or so. $$$$$ As I said, its a CASHguzzler409......
:rain

bobs409

Administrator
The only problem (if it bothers you) is that the taller these radials get, the wider they get. Can't get "tall skinny's" the way it would have looked originally. :irk

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Bob for the input, Im going with original 800-14 black walls for the correct look, but am wanting to have two sets for different looks.
What is the difference in having all for tires the same size, or back bigger and front's smaller. Im using 15- 6 white rims with dog dish caps,
and 1" white wall, maybe paint the 1/4 " outside of rim red. Getting kind of nuts now..... well I've been that way for some time
:rub
:think

bobs409

Administrator
Still trying to decide on tires. :bonk

Can get the ones shown below which are bias look radials for $246.00 per tire including shipping. (8.00X14 blackwall) made by American classic. (might be a better price out there somewhere, still shopping)

1.JPG 2.JPG

Or I can go modern radial 205/14 for a hell of a lot less but much shorter in height! Oh when will it end???????? :gaah:irk

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Still trying to decide on tires. :bonk

Can get the ones shown below which are bias look radials for $246.00 per tire including shipping. (8.00X14 blackwall) made by American classic. (might be a better price out there somewhere, still shopping)

View attachment 34920 View attachment 34921

Or I can go modern radial 205/14 for a hell of a lot less but much shorter in height! Oh when will it end???????? :gaah:irk
I think my bicycle tire's are almost that wide!!!!!:roll:roll

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Lets see.... 246 x 4 (or 5) = 1000 - 16 = 984.00..... I just bought 4 Goodyear 235-x-65- 15- 91.00 x 4 = 361.00 + tax = 397.00
The car came with 4 all white rims, 15" so i decided to go with them on radial tires. I am saving up for the original 800 -x -14 -x -6.
Here's a photo of how they look with some old 64 dog dish caps. ITS hard to decide

:rub

Attachments

• 100_2154.JPG
    100_2154.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob ,i bought this radial tire for a spare on 14 '' original spare wheel. Your tire shown is 27.59 my tire is 26.7x 8.5 wide. I got it on amazon $67.27 free shipping . It is 215x75r14 -----h724 all season. It is actually almost same height as71xLjIqhprL._SL1001_.jpg my 255/60r/15 that i have on the car , which is 26.8 tall.I got white wall for spare but you can turn white in.I went with 14 inch and tire so it would fit my trunk and jack in stock location

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only problem (if it bothers you) is that the taller these radials get, the wider they get. Can't get "tall skinny's" the way it would have looked originally. :irk

Widths are the same if you get the same size i.e. 215= 215 no matter the aspect ratio.

bobs409

Administrator
I think my bicycle tire's are almost that wide!!!!!:roll:roll

Your not helping me decide this way. :D I'm not in love with the width and actually correct would be 7.50X14 so even skinnier! :confused

I really want the old style look but I've been scared off of going with bias ply. The way my luck has been running, I'd buy those and hate to drive the car! Cost for the bias look a-likes is obscene but what cha gonna do? :dunno2

The ones above would cost me $1230.00 if I get 5 (can't forget the spare!) :thud

I think at some point, you just say the hell with it! Go platinum! :tongue