Otter Been Faster

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
A gal stopped and was going on about the poor little critter being hit. I said, yes they are cute little guys, but if you had a pond full of fish you wouldn't like them. They kill for fun and put the fish in a pile. The DNR reintroduced them several years ago.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like them. Cousins have them in their lakes and the fishing is awesome so they must not make too big of a dent. They did say the same thing as you with the pile but it wasn't fish. It was a load of snapping turtles. They all had big chunks taken out of their throats. Maybe the otter stores them for later during the winter??? I don't know. I do know that they are the top predator in a lake.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The only predators they have to worry about around here are coyotes,trappers, and an occasional bullet. I doubt many get taken by coyotes.

Junky

Well Known Member
The snapping turtles in the stream behind my home, are huge! About 2' across huge, and I caught one and put it into a plastic garbage can. It must have weighed about 35 or 40 pounds. Took it for a ride to another part of town where there is a large pond and swamp. In the spring, they come into the backyard, and dig holes to lay their eggs. The little ones are cute, but the Mama's will hiss and stretch out their necks if you come near them. I used to worry about the dogs getting bit, but they have since passed away.
We are surrounded by wildlife, and sometimes they can be a nuisance, like the porcupines that dig in the lawn. My old dog killed 2 of them, but he paid the price afterwards, and I paid big $$$$ to the vet. If I get another dog, I am going to be getting a porcupine hunting license!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The snapping turtles in the stream behind my home, are huge! About 2' across huge, and I caught one and put it into a plastic garbage can. It must have weighed about 35 or 40 pounds. Took it for a ride to another part of town where there is a large pond and swamp. In the spring, they come into the backyard, and dig holes to lay their eggs. The little ones are cute, but the Mama's will hiss and stretch out their necks if you come near them. I used to worry about the dogs getting bit, but they have since passed away.
We are surrounded by wildlife, and sometimes they can be a nuisance, like the porcupines that dig in the lawn. My old dog killed 2 of them, but he paid the price afterwards, and I paid big $$$$ to the vet. If I get another dog, I am going to be getting a porcupine hunting license!
For my part you could have dressed that turtle out. I put up with those when younger near a creek when living in the country . Ain't no snapping turtle cute. :rolleyes

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
For my part you could have dressed that turtle out. I put up with those when younger near a creek when living in the country . Ain't no snapping turtle cute. :rolleyes

Not cute, but they sure taste good. I used to trap them. Now when I see one crossing the road I throw them in the ditch. Don't like to see them run over. Some of them are older than Phil.

Junky

Well Known Member
Took the "old" dog out tonight, and normally her eyesight is so bad, that I have to go out with her. She has had us fooled for the past year, that damn dog can see clear across the yard, and she was bound and determined to beat me to the porcupine that was having its dinner at the far end. I caught her, about 30' before she got to it. Two years ago, I dug a hole for her in the fall, thinking that she wasn't going to make it through another winter. She made it past that one, and this past one. The picture is her at about 3 years old. Think that I am going to do something about these critters!
Molly1.jpg