Out with old and in with the new

Chromey60

So I have decided to swap my 283 for a 350 and my power glide for a 200r4 transmission. I have already bought the engine and trans. I am just seeing if anyone could give me advice on what I might need and should expect on this project.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You'll need a dedicated crossmember and possibly a new shorter frt.drive shaft.Mike[1958 DELIVERY] has the cross members..The carb will need to be adapted or already have provisions for the frt. of the kick down cable as they are different from the th 350 and glide requirement.What carb is going on the 350? The next thing is the electrical circuit needed for torque operation.There are wiring kits availeable from TCI and others that will solve this issue.The adjustment and positioning of the TV or kick down cable is very important don't short cut it.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There's a linkage part that bolts on to that carb just for that.II gotta get one for mine.They'e about 13.00 at Jegs or Summit.

Junky

Well Known Member
There's a linkage part that bolts on to that carb just for that.II gotta get one for mine.They'e about 13.00 at Jegs or Summit.

I strongly suggest that you make the purchase sooner than latter, because you never know when the item is going to either go out of production, or have "manufacturing" difficulties. A friend that is in the reproduction parts business told me about a couple of his suppliers that were in business last September, and have closed shop because of labor shortages as a result of Covid. In these uncertain times, it is better to hedge your bets on what is available today, than it is to hope that it is available next week.
I needed a new seat for my Kubota tractor, and there is none made for it in the aftermarket. The discontinued seat was $135, and the new superseded part is over $400, and requires a "mounting kit" to make it fit. I called around to a bunch of Kubota dealers and found one that had the old part number in stock.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I strongly suggest that you make the purchase sooner than latter, because you never know when the item is going to either go out of production, or have "manufacturing" difficulties. A friend that is in the reproduction parts business told me about a couple of his suppliers that were in business last September, and have closed shop because of labor shortages as a result of Covid. In these uncertain times, it is better to hedge your bets on what is available today, than it is to hope that it is available next week.
I needed a new seat for my Kubota tractor, and there is none made for it in the aftermarket. The discontinued seat was $135, and the new superseded part is over $400, and requires a "mounting kit" to make it fit. I called around to a bunch of Kubota dealers and found one that had the old part number in stock.
I recently bought a replacement seat for my John Deere 4310 off of Ebay from seller tractor_stuff . Says it's made in the USA. I did have to drill two new holes in the tractor's mounting plate. It is pretty nice and had the correct mounting for the occupancy switch. . This seller may even be the manufacturer. Probably would hurt to contact them.

Junky

Well Known Member
Thanks for the suggestion... I already have a new Kubota seat that fits perfectly without drilling holes, and it cost $138 including tax. The old one lasted 15 years, so this one should last just as long. By that time, my sore old bones will not be sitting in that seat, and if I am really lucky, I will be sitting in a comfortable rocking chair.