out with the old and in with the new

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Today I finally finished switching the motors in my '61 SS. I had purchased a '61 409 motor about a year ago from Floyd Garrett. During the Christmas holidays I made the switch but ran into the pilot bearing issue and had to pull the motor back out, take it back to the motor shop where it was dissembled, cleaned, the damage repaired and the correct pilot bearing installed. This time all went well and I'm really happy with the motor. The motor that was in the car was also a '61 '09 but it had an assembly date about a month after the build date of the car. The assembly date on this new motor is just 6 days prior to the production date of the car so I just had to make the switch. I even managed to get it done without scratching anything up!!! Let's see if this new picture uploading thing works

Attachments

• DSC_8906.JPG
    DSC_8906.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_8901.JPG
    DSC_8901.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 179

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:clapLookin' good Tommy!!! I see Robert sweet talked that beautiful red 62' out of you. Gosh that thing is beautiful. Gradualations to both of you.:clap:clap:clap

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very nice looking 61 and it must be nice have two 61 09's in your stable, good job on the switch this time.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Glad to see the install went good this time, Tommy. I know you have a lot of frustration behind you now. Well done;. :clap

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tommy:

Thanks for the update, glad to learn it all went well! Your dedication is truly amazing, as are the efforts of many of the contributors to this Forum. Looking forward to seeing it in Great Bend, KS?

Cheers!
TomK

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The first time I saw that '61/'62 single carb 409 fuel line design, I was pretty sure cocktails were involved. Now I am kinda leaning toward the idea that was the only 600 cfm available from Carter at the time and they ran a fuel line to it.:scratch Leo