out with the old and in with the new

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That may be why some of the earliest pics under the hood of a 61 409 car show the fuel filter hanging down under the front of the air cleaner which would lead to a 3012 carb instead of the 3270. The air cleaner base in that case would be for a 340 hp 348 .

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thank everyone of you for the kind words and the knowledge that I gain by being a member here. I look forward to seeing each of you this fall in Kansas and if everything goes according to plan I intend to bring the car. I started it and ran it about 20 minutes today at 2500 RPM and it seems that everything is OK.
Cecil, yep, the early '61 409 motors did have the 3012 carbs, at some point during the year they switched to the 3270 carb with the rear inlet. The photos of the Gurney car show a front fuel inlet.
Bob, your comment about the clean shop belongs in the Funnies & Jokes section!!!
Leo, I copied that fuel line from an original '62 380 horse motor, I think it's pretty close to being right even though it looks kinda silly
The discussion about the pilot bearing was very beneficial to me as was the discussion that we had a month or so ago about the temperature sending units. I had installed a new sending unit in this motor and when I started it the temperature went right out of sight before the thermostat even opened. I cut it off and took the sending unit out of the old motor and put in the new one and there were no more temperature problems.
Clean this one up, wrap it up and set it aside and start on something else, I'm working on my '61 Pontiac next. I've had that car for 5 years and have never shown it, every time I get ready to start on it something turns up a something else moves in front of it, not this time. The Pontiac doesn't need a lot, just a month or two of TLC.

Thanks again,

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tommy:

Glad to learn that the fresh engine runs out fine, let's hope it stays that way!

It's been five years since you purchased that Ventura? Seems more like two. Where has the time gone? Glad you're able to start back on that project. From what I remember she didn't need much :).

What are your plans for the "spare" 1961 409 engine? Look for another orphaned 1961 SS car?

Cheers,
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tom,
I bought the Ventura the summer of '08 so it'll be 6 years this summer. It'll be 5 years this summer since we stopped by to see you, that was in '09 that we went to Topeka. Time flies when you are having fun!! I like Pontiacs, so much so that I bought a another one this winter, haven't even gotten it home yet. It's a '61 Catalina, 348 horse tri-power 4 speed car. To answer your question about the "spare '61 409"....I don't think I want to do another car, I'm probably going to try to sell the motor. I've got 9 cars now and it's about more than I can do just to keep them up. I guess it's time to start cutting back but I'm just not ready yet.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tommy, Ann and I thank you for that nighttime call a couple of weeks ago before your inventory reduction statement above. Since our St Louis 61 has a build date of the last week of May I better not get too excited.
Robert

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tommy, Ann and I thank you for that nighttime call a couple of weeks ago before your inventory reduction statement above. Since our St Louis 61 has a build date of the last week of May I better not get too excited.
Robert

You shoud be excited... my 'extra "61 409 motor" has an pad stamping of T0525Q. If your '61 convertible has a build date of the last week of May, it don't get no better than that!!!! When would you like me to delivery it?

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hmmm...let's see a 61 "09" and a 62 "09"......Looks like Robert may be in the market for a 63 and a 64 in the near future!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy,
Your 61 looks fantastic !
I'm glad to see the way you routed the fuel delivery to that carb. I've got that same intake and carb with the goofy fuel inlet location on the engine that was in my 61. I was wondering what the "correct" fuel line routing was !
One can't help but wonder why in the world GM designed it that way.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I sold the car several years ago to a gentleman in Ca. who at one time was a member here, not sure if he still is or not, don't think so. Actually he bought several cars from me. He bought the blue '61 pictured here also but I managed to get that one back. Anyway, he sold the white car last year at the Mecum Auction in Ca. It is my understanding that the car went somewhere in N.Y. state. It belongs to someone who is connected to, perhaps the president of the Velocity TV network.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That may be why some of the earliest pics under the hood of a 61 409 car show the fuel filter hanging down under the front of the air cleaner which would lead to a 3012 carb instead of the 3270. The air cleaner base in that case would be for a 340 hp 348 .
This is what I was told many years ago and I can't remember who told me.. I don't have any knowledge of when the carbs were switched during production. But....I was told it was usually about 90 days from articles being written for magazines and their publication date. When the 409 was introduced, the 3270-S carb wasn't available yet so "Chevy" mocked up the engine for the picture with the front inlet AFB and fuel line. That's how the perception of the front inlet carb was started.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This is what I was told many years ago and I can't remember who told me.. I don't have any knowledge of when the carbs were switched during production. But....I was told it was usually about 90 days from articles being written for magazines and their publication date. When the 409 was introduced, the 3269-S carb wasn't available yet so "Chevy" mocked up the engine for the picture with the front inlet AFB and fuel line. That's how the perception of the front inlet carb was started.
3269S? You mean 3270, right? The 3269 was a 62 300hp 327 pass and 300/340hp 327 Corvette carb.
I think it was Don Francisco who wrote the article on the first 409 which stated that the car furnished by Chevrolet for the test drive had the small carb and that the correct production carb was 3270. He postulated that the small carb may have been intentionally installed for better driveablility on the test. Somewhere I have that article.