Outside rearview mirror

S

Swiss Impala

Hello from Switzerland,
Some days ago I found a '64 Chevrolet sales brochure for options and
accessories. There were tow things that I was interested in. :?

1. There was an outside rearview mirror that could be set by remote
control from inside. I have to say that this is new for me.
Does anybody know whether these mirrors are still available, old or replica?

2. I also could learn that there was a cruise control available.
But it could not be ordered with high performance V8 engines.
Why not? Was it possible with manual transmission or only with automatic?
Does anybody has details about this cruise control?
Thank you for your answers. :cheers

Have a good time,

Franz

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The cruise would have been automatic only; the mirrors were cable operated. I haven't seen them reproduced, they were also available on Olds, Buicks, Caddy, Pontiac, and I'd say all were interchangeable.

Don

bg64ss409

Hi Franz

I am not sure about the cruise control, but I have never found the remote mirror reproduced, I have only found them on e-bay, and they are quite pricey...
The part number for the assembly is 910791.I have only ever seen one or two on e-bay with this number, although apparently, the corvair mirror for 64 (and I believe 65 ) is an alternate(I see no difference..)
NOS these will go for over a thousand USD, beat up, they still get 500.00
My car had this originally..probably a dealer install, but all I had left was the toggle and the mount.I found a corvair numbered one on e-bay without these parts and I got what I consider a deal on it.

good luck!

Brett

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I have a "Custom Feature Accessories" booklet for 1964 and it shows a remote outside mirror. It also shows the cruise control, says "available for six or eight cylinder Chevrolets, except eight cylinder high performance engine". It doesn't say available only on automatic transmissions. :dunno

My 64 327/300 4 speed has cruise control but I think it was added at sometime cause it looks like an NOS unit. It doesn't work but I've never messed with it to see why it doesn't.

Attachments

• DSC_0386.jpg
    DSC_0386.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 95

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Remote mirror

I don't know if it's the same item, but I just sold a NOS remote mirror in perfect condition on Ebay just a couple weeks back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220526600975&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

and it went for $315. I had two of 'em so I thought I'd let one go. The NOS one commands more attention, the other one I have I thought I mount on my 1961 Bonneville. I don't think they go much higher than that, I bought the second one for $50 not long ago...

I always thought they were Pontiac items, you might try searching those items under "Pontiac" if you want to find one.

Good luck!

TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
That's not the same mirror as the '64 Chevrolet mirror. I think the chevrolet mirror would be worth more than that. I think the '64 Chevrolet remote mirror is the same as the standard mirror that was used on the '65 Z-16 Chevelles. that runs the price up, kinda like metalic brakes for an '61 to '64 Impala, same as the straight axle Corvette so the price is double.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Hello from Switzerland,
Some days ago I found a '64 Chevrolet sales brochure for options and
accessories. There were tow things that I was interested in. :?

1. There was an outside rearview mirror that could be set by remote
control from inside. I have to say that this is new for me.
Does anybody know whether these mirrors are still available, old or replica?

2. I also could learn that there was a cruise control available.
But it could not be ordered with high performance V8 engines.
Why not? Was it possible with manual transmission or only with automatic?
Does anybody has details about this cruise control?
Thank you for your answers. :cheers

Have a good time,

Franz

Franz,

The 64 Remote Mirror is an obsolete part that will most likely never be reproduced, their are still some out there floating around safe in the original box, but they come at a hefty price tag, so be prepared to spend. I've seen them sell for $1200 to $2200 U.S. Dollars for just one of these beauties.

As far as cruise control goes, I've personally never seen a manual trans car hooked up with one, always has been a P-glide car. These units are still obtainable and go for $1200 to $2000 NOS for a correct 1964 NOS Speed & Cruise unit. Earlier years have sold for much greater amounts, I sold my 61/62 New Old Stock Speed & Cruise unit on eBay for almost $4,000 two years ago, and I'll probably never find another sealed up like the one I had. :cry

:deal

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
That's not the same mirror as the '64 Chevrolet mirror. I think the chevrolet mirror would be worth more than that. I think the '64 Chevrolet remote mirror is the same as the standard mirror that was used on the '65 Z-16 Chevelles. that runs the price up, kinda like metalic brakes for an '61 to '64 Impala, same as the straight axle Corvette so the price is double.

I thought the same, but found out the 65 Chevelles mirror is a larger diameter than the 64 remote mirror.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
I don't know if it's the same item, but I just sold a NOS remote mirror in perfect condition on Ebay just a couple weeks back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220526600975&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

and it went for $315. I had two of 'em so I thought I'd let one go. The NOS one commands more attention, the other one I have I thought I mount on my 1961 Bonneville. I don't think they go much higher than that, I bought the second one for $50 not long ago...

I always thought they were Pontiac items, you might try searching those items under "Pontiac" if you want to find one.

Good luck!

TomK

You know I'm all about the Genuine Chevrolet Accy's Tommy! Here's a shot of a correct 1961/62 Chevrolet passenger car remote mirror. This unit was offered for the "Driver's side" only, so don't let anyone tell you different and make sure she has the "BOWTIE" impression on the mirror's head! Don't be fooled by Pontiac's model that has nothing.
61RemoteMirror7.jpg

61RemoteMirror009.jpg

61RemoteMirror014.jpg

61RemoteMirror020.jpg

61RemoteMirror051.jpg

61RemoteMirror054.jpg

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Here's a correct 64 remote mirror in perfect condition N.O.S. in the box...
HPIM0872.jpg

Amazing this one still has the sales receipt in the box from the dealership it was purchased at for $6.77 way back when! Talk about "appreciation".

S

Swiss Impala

Thank you very much for all that information.:bow
You say these Chevy mirrors were only for the left side, not like the
normal ones that can be used either left or right. So they are not
symmetric. On the other side, I also like these Pontiac ones. Do they are
symmetric, could I use them left or right?
I saw Pontiac's with such mirrors left and right, but installed on the fenders
close to the wind screen, but the surface they were mounted was flat
and horizontal like the mirror's place of the '64s doors they are screwed on.
From this point of view it should work for my Impala, doesn't it?
I saw that the cables are rather long. I think it is because they were on the
fenders with Pontiac's. Could it work with the doors too and if not is it
possible to shorten the cables?

I would like to replace the mirrors, because the original ones look in some
way "poor" compared to the kind and size of car an Impala represents.
And, those remote control ones do not always have to be adjusted if
somebody touches them.
You may say that there are bigger American cars, but compared to Europeans cars an Impala is really "full size".

Thanks again and have a good time,

Franz

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Thank you very much for all that information.:bow
You say these Chevy mirrors were only for the left side, not like the
normal ones that can be used either left or right. So they are not
symmetric. On the other side, I also like these Pontiac ones. Do they are
symmetric, could I use them left or right?
I saw Pontiac's with such mirrors left and right, but installed on the fenders
close to the wind screen, but the surface they were mounted was flat
and horizontal like the mirror's place of the '64s doors they are screwed on.
From this point of view it should work for my Impala, doesn't it?
I saw that the cables are rather long. I think it is because they were on the
fenders with Pontiac's. Could it work with the doors too and if not is it
possible to shorten the cables?

I would like to replace the mirrors, because the original ones look in some
way "poor" compared to the kind and size of car an Impala represents.
And, those remote control ones do not always have to be adjusted if
somebody touches them.
You may say that there are bigger American cars, but compared to Europeans cars an Impala is really "full size".

Thanks again and have a good time,

Franz

In 1961 when they were first introduced for Impala they were only offered for the Driver's side due to a fixed head. The head is pointed inward toward the driver, and the mirror itself pivots. So, if a remote mirror was to be installed on the passenger side, the head would point outward and look somewhat weird, this losing the symmetry. I've had about half a dozen or more Remote Mirrors from 61/62 and could not bring myself to installing one on the passenger side just for the simple fact it would look so akward once installed on the passenger side.

However, the 1964 Chevrolet remote mirrors were designed differently, where Chevrolet made the head and mirror totally functioning, this would allow to keep proper symmetry. I've seen a few 64 Impalas with both remote mirrors installed and they look fabulous! Like I said before, the only thing ugly about remote mirrors are the price tag that come with them. But, as the saying goes, you gotta pay to play. Its sorta like deciding between a Timex watch or a Rolex. One unit is available just about anywhere and the other only found at select places and has a limited production.
post-5042-1142731459.jpg

post-5042-1142731601.jpg

:scratch

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The right mirrors were not convex until the 70's? Makes them of little use except for not hitting the wall when backing into a garage if they are not convex.

I remember the oldsmobiles of the 70's and 80's having manual passenger side remotes I think? They were convex and worked rather well, the mounts were fixed in place and the mirrors moved.

RegencyBroughamCover.jpg

Don

S

Swiss Impala

Hello from Switzerland,

Does anybody knows how this cruise control works. Any description? :?

My guess is that it was available only with automatic transmission.
High performance meant not all 409s, only the 400 hp and the 425 hp
engines. These engines were only available with one of the two 4 speed
transmissions. All other engines could be ordered with automatic transmission.
I think there is one thing that was not said in the brochure with the accessories. You could order cruise control, but only with engines that could be combined with automatic transmission. This was working for all, but not for the two 409 high performance engines.
Speed Control = (Cruise Control) was offered the first time for the Corvette
in 1977 (see Corvette Black Book). It also required automatic transmission.

Have a good time,

Franz

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
63-64 doors are the same so fit would not be a problem. It was not available in 63 but....................go ahead and bid on it!!! It's NOS and you will probably never see another one!! Add it to your car for the "cool" factor!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Oops......I thought it was a 64. This doesn't look complete. I'll check part numbers tomorrow.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Have to retract my earlier post!!! I thought 64 was the first year for remote mirror. There is another NOS remote mirror on eBay now...complete with the factory box. It has the part #988371. Parts book said 61 only all pass. and sta. wagon. So............I would assume it will not mount correctly on a 64. Sorry for the mis-info.