Outside rearview mirror

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
WOW, it's been 6 Years, since we heard from Franz, in Sweden.:doh Anyone know, what happened with him?:dunno2

Roberts64

I have a 64 impala I'm restoring. It has the holes on the fender for the mirror. Does anyone know if this was a ss option or what? Ive been trying to research this and getting no where! I can't really even find a picture on line showing a 64 with those mirrors. I do plan on keeping them on the fender. Kinda gives it a cadillac look. JFK/GANGSTER LOOK?! Someone mentioned it could be dealer installed? Probably so since I've learned lately the mirrors are actually 60s sears outside chrome mirrors! And mine are closer to windshield. Not in center of wheel. Guessing these mirrors are rare? Ive since found 2 more on ebay. But cost was twice the "original" bow tie. Any info or input would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20171115_222728.jpg
    IMG_20171115_222728.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 21

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Not sure how to respond... Did i say something stupid?
Mirrow were never over center of wheel from factory and definitely not sears The mirrors were mounted on doors . I don't know if remote were available on chevrolet in 64.If you prefer them on fender it is your car ,do what you like best.

Last edited:

Roberts64

Over the center of the wheel is what someone else said. Mine are closer to the windshield. You're saying no mirrors were mounted on the fender from the factory? Didn't know if it was a ss thing. Or a Biscayne thing just curious! I actually do like the sears mirrors. I could be weird. It does smack of blue light special! I never figured sears mirror was from factory. Thought possibly dealer? Id like to know more about what else the dealers had to add!

Roberts64

Was hoping for a more serious answer but ok. Ive seen 64 elcamino with fender mirrors! Im sure Cadillac did! Not sure why such a snarky response. I never claimed to have all the answers!

Roberts64

They are Sears mirrors. I posted that. I knew that. Question was about what the dealers did. And if fender mirrors were factory. Thanks for a straight answer though.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I retired from Cadillac after 28 years and I have never seen a Cadillac except for the 1930's that had an outside Mirror NOT placed on the fender. They were all on the doors .Remote or non remote
If you like the mirror on the fender on your car does not make you a bad person. It 's just that they weren't put there at the factory
You did not at all say anything STUPID . It's a very legit question.

Roberts64

Thanks. I work in a body shop and its just something i have wonder about. Why the difference. Why they put them there? I have a 47 Cadillac thats in the shop now and again. Swore it had them on the fender too. Oh well. Thanks

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Close the fender holes, buy reproduction original mirror's left and right side and mount on door where they were from factory .It will look much better and if you do enter car in show's and judged it will be correct. Any body that know these cars will know the fender mount is not correct. But like I said before it is your car ,do what you want . That's my 2 cent's and I'm sticking to it. :D