Overdrive transmissions

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I took the 58 out for a drive yesterday. I have a 348, 3X2 and a Crane solid lifter cam with a TH 200 4R trans and 3.73 rearend. The cam really is a dog until you get above 3000 rpm but then it really gives you a boot almost like riding a 2 cycle bike when it comes on the pipe. What I started this for is how happy I am with the overdrive transmission. I went down the road at 70 mph engine was turning at 2200rpm on the tach. I have modified the trans so the torque converter won't lockup except in 4th gear also reprogramed the valvebody and put a billet servo accumilator. When you are at wide open throttle the trans will snap your head when it shifts but when you take normally it shifts soft. We drove around Springfield in traffic and out on the highway just great. If anyone is thinking of putting a TH 350 or 400 in I would strongly recommend an overdrive, it really puts the pleasure in the driving. If I am going 70 and I drop it into 3rd the torque converter unlocks and the rpm's jump to about 3200 and that thing becomes a beast able to leap tall buildings and scares the h**l out of rice burners. I can't wait for the new engine with the 817 heads.:D Roy

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's good to hear Roy. :clap I've got 2 of the 2004rs waiting for rebuild and I plan to use one in my 33 with 348 and the other in my 55 with 348 or 409. Did you do the rebuild yourself or shop it out? I've never done an automatic but have been tempted to try it myself.:scratch

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought the trans from a rebuilder and then called Bowtie Overdrive and read an article in Hotrod Magazine about toughening up a 200 4R. The guys at Bowtie Overdrive told me about changing the springs in the valvebody and the billet servo. The article in Hotrod pointed out which wire to cut so it will not lockup in
3rd. I paid $500 for the trans and $400 for the upgrades. You might be able to get a TCI for about $300 more. Also there is only 2 speedo gears available from Chevrolet and they don't work well with our applications but Bowtie Overdrives has that covered also, with a new drive gear and driven gear. Oh also you need a modified governor from BTO. I set my TV cable at guitar string tight at WOT and it shifts great. I made up my own mount out of some brackets from O'Rielly's. If you want I will go over some of my old paperwork annd give you better info. The trans has worked well with drag racing and every day driving for 3 years now. Also you need a brake light switch out of a 80's overdrive Chevy pickup, it kills the lockup when you hit the brakes. It bolts right on where the 58 brake light switch goes and you run a fused keyed hotwire from the ignition to the brakelight switch then to the plug in on the trans and I'll have to look at which plug it is, there are 4 prongs and you hook to one. I have since put a B and M 2000 stall converter in it but I wish I had a higher stall with lockup. And as a car dealer says at the end of his commercial "That's it".:D Roy

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bto

...just to add, I put a BTO 700-R4 in my Nova last year; it's like a whole new car and I love the tranny. I was pretty much planning to do the same thing when I put the 409 in my Belair. I used a 2500+ converter that they supplied; with a 2.94stock gear and a 383, the Nova is a freeway mauler and loafs at cruise speeds.

I think the Belair might get a 3.50 or so gear as it won't get all of the freeway miles.

BTO has been terrific to deal with, I'd recommend them any time.