P/S "play"

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Ok just redid the whole front end on my '61. Took it to the frame, A-arms off, poly bushings, new everything, including brakes from the Power booster to the wheels on the front.

BUT

There is about a 1/4 turn in the steering wheel for "play"? Upon inspection, the "ram assembly" in the front seem to have about a 1/16 inch movement where there is a nut/cotter pin assembly on the top! So when you move the steering wheel, this nut/cotter pin deal moves THEN it moves the ram/steering?

So is this BAD or over spec? I know these old cars didn't handle like a Ferrari, just want to make sure it can last the summer till I pull the motor and then maybe upgrade the steering.

Thanks, John

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A little play is common for sure. My car is completely new suspension and steering and mine tracks nice and straight but still has a little play in the wheel. Nothing to be concerned about. Drove my buddy's 63 Impala wagon with 200k on the clock, all original and THAT THING was scary to drive! Bet it had a couple inches of free play in the wheel! You have to row it back and forth the whole time to keep the car pointed straight. No idea how he daily drives that car like that! Scared me!

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Ok thanks guys. I "might" upgrade to a borgeson Delphi 600 box from a 2003-2006 Escalade, but will see what happens next winter for that!!!

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Thanks Aubrey. This is with the engine OFF. Never thought that once the engine is running and therefore pressurizes the system, it would take up the play. Will find out.