Paint or Polish?

Jeff Sine

Supporting Member 1
I'm rebuilding my 409 and debating weather to Paint my Aluminum Intake Manifold or Polish it?
What are the experience's been ?

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Polishing is a lot of up keep. Some guys have powder coated them. The color spectrum is vast. From shiny aluminum look to all colors of paint.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That looks Xcellant, Don.:appl:bow I polished mine. :doh I Sanded, Polished , Sanded, Polished, and Polished, some more. Wore my fingers to the bone. :(When I finished, I cleaned it off with Thinner, let it dry, and painted Eastwood's, Diamond Clear, on it. :applIt looked Beautiful.:clap It should. Probably spent 50 or more hours, doing it. After a couple of winters, the clear started failing.:dunno2 Looks like CRAP now. If I ever do it again, it will be Powder Coat.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you have it powdered you will have to remove the underneathplate and clean . I removed mine before installing on motor ,all kind 's of grit in there from the process of coating.That will chew up your bearings fast.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Is it true that a polished part will hold more heat?:dunno
If so I would want my intake to run as cool as possible but I am always trying to make one faster not easy to drive on the street. :cigar

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
That looks Xcellant, Don.:appl:bow I polished mine. :doh I Sanded, Polished , Sanded, Polished, and Polished, some more. Wore my fingers to the bone. :(When I finished, I cleaned it off with Thinner, let it dry, and painted Eastwood's, Diamond Clear, on it. :applIt looked Beautiful.:clap It should. Probably spent 50 or more hours, doing it. After a couple of winters, the clear started failing.:dunno2 Looks like CRAP now. If I ever do it again, it will be Powder Coat.

Thanks for teaching us all a valuable lesson ........ so sorry you had to learn ......The hard way

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I bead blasted my intake and then used high temp clear. Still looks good after a few years.

Last edited:

Jeff Sine

Supporting Member 1
I started to Polish the Intake and it turned out to be alot of work and un-satisfying. The Finish was inconsistent so I decided to Paint with Eastwood Aluma Blast and Cleared it with their 2k Clear. We'll see how it holds up!