Paint Question

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is it this Nitrocellulose Laquer that that would be considered the old Laquer paint that is on our Chevy's..... at least on my '61....... or is it Acrylic Laquer??? I'd like to see if I can find some of the original paint to do some small repairs...... I remember with the old laquer on our cars you could do a small patch, cut wax it or wet sand it and you would never know it was repaired.

I found this on a paint website.

Nitrocellulose One of the oldest types of car paint still available.

Lacquer Nitrocellulose is based on cellulose, as the name implies, and is an "organic" paint finish. It was used on production cars up until the 1950's to 1960's depending on the car manufacturer.
It is not particularly resistant to light or pollution and consequently more modern paints have been developed that last longer. It also takes a long time to dry. Environmental regulations make the purchase and legal use of nitrocellulose increasingly difficult in many countries, due to the amount of organic solvents that evaporate into the air during painting and drying.

Acrylic Lacquer Used on many cars from the 1950s to the 1970s, and some, such as Rolls Royce, until the late 1980s. The paint is mixed with paint thinner which evaporates, leaving the paint pigment on the car. The finish is usually deep or glass-like, suiting classic cars. However, the finish must be buffed regularly to maintain it's look, and is not as long-lasting as 2 Pack.
Acrylic lacquer is the paint of choice for the amateur painter, especially for cars of the period. It has a relatively fast drying time, preventing dirt from sticking to the finish. This is an important consideration for amateurs who usually have less than perfectly clean surroundings to paint in. The fast dying time permits dust or painting mistakes to be sanded down within a relatively short time of paint application

Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave,
Acrylic laquer started on GM cars around 57,as I recall, nitrocellulose was before that. Lacquer is easy to work with, especially for an amateur, but with all the tree hugger restrictions removing the lead content made it less durable and not as hard a finish as it used to be. If you want more info visit one of the Corvette forums. Some of the diehard NCRS members will use nothing else for judging purposes, but that is usually on trailer queens for judging. Many complaints about fender covers, convertible tops etc leaving marks in the finish indicating it just doesn't cure like it should. It's hard for some people to get it now due to enviro restrictions. You can still get it though:
http://www.paintforcars.com/acrylic_lacquer_paint.html
http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rsp1401.aspx

:coffee:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave, A friend of mine here has been in the restoration business for several years and has all of the old paint chip books. We looked up the code for the fawn on my Bel-Air then he called it in to the Auto Body Supply. I also wanted to use the lacquer so it would match my car. It matched perfect. I blended it with the rest of the car and you can not tell where the touched up areas are. It is a PPG product and it is called Dura Cryl. You would need your part # for the roaman red. I can get that for you if you need me to.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:clap:clap:clap:clap

You're right.... Cecil does it again...... now he's got me off to get the back seat out of my Impala to see if there is a build sheet to find out if it was originally a PG or TG.....
:grumble::grumble:

Just kidding.... I was going to do it eventually anyway.

Dave

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dave, Good luck finding a build sheet in the chevy. I bought my unmolested one owner '62 impala and have had everything out of the car but the headliner. NO BUILD SHEET! I have NEVER found a build sheet. Did a body off restoration on my wife's '65 Skylark. Low milage never been apart car. NO BUILD SHEET! Lets hear from others on build sheets finds. I know corvette owners sometimes find sheets on top of the fuel tanks.:dunno Leo

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Build sheets left in the car was very unusual until the late 60's. It was glued to the top of the gas tank on Corvettes starting in 67. The earliest car besides a Corvette that I found one in was my 69 Chevelle convertible where it was stuffed in the springs under the front seat.
Those sheets were all over the place on the assembly line and were generally thrown in the trash once the individual using it completed his task. Some were stuffed in strange places in the car rather than walk over to the trash can.
It's a long shot but you might get lucky. :coffee:

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The build sheet for my '71 Impala was in the spring under the back seat cushion. This was the only one I have ever found in all these years.:crazy:cheers

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought a pair of 64 bucket seats that still had the build sheet in the springs. There was one also in the rear bottom seat.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I bought a pair of 64 bucket seats that still had the build sheet in the springs. There was one also in the rear bottom seat.
Maybe there is some hope that I can find it. I have to re-cover the buckets and hope to find the build sheet. I have checked underside of the back seat and both rear side panels, nothing there. I wish I had known (way back then) that this would be important some day. :bang:bang The only thing I have is the original title dated in late Oct 63.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Maybe there is some hope that I can find it. I have to re-cover the buckets and hope to find the build sheet. I have checked underside of the back seat and both rear side panels, nothing there. I wish I had known (way back then) that this would be important some day. :bang:bang The only thing I have is the original title dated in late Oct 63.

Another possible area to look is behind the kick panels. I've even heard of one being stuffed up under the dash.:dunno