Painting parts

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I finally got around to painting some parts for the 61 since I got it where it moves under its own power. The front clip that came with it needed work. I got all the body work done and started to paint the parts last weekend but they didn't come out as well as they should. Yesterday I sanded the bad spots out of the base coat but I went through to the primer in several spots so now I have to reprime before I can try the base coat again. What I'm wondering about is, I sanded with 400 wet and I don't know if the primer will stick or do I have to go back over it with something rougher?

Junky

Well Known Member
400 should be ok, but I would sand off the clear coat, so you don't wind up with high and low spots that will give the appearance of waves in the paint. Block sand with four hundred till smooth. Not like the old days, when you could put 4 or 5 coats on, and then sand and polish to a glass like finish. I was never a good painter, but I sure did a lot more sanding than I ever wanted.
Personal opinion, stay away from epoxy primers. They are very hard, and difficult to sand.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
from my experience 400 for the majority of the sanding but a light scuff of 240 really helps with adhesion before getting out the tac rag...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I usually use 320 wet before I start laying on primer and color. But 400 should be no problem

Last edited: