Pair of Shovelheads plus one more

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The orange 76 is my kinda bike. Minimal & springer . If it doesn't make it go forward or stop it doesn't need it. Ok, maybe when I was younger, but still. Maybe do something with the back fender, but still cool like it is.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have never ridden a bike with those ape hangers, just can't imagine that being very comfortable.

When I was building bikes, I would get people that wanted tall apes. I would tell them to sit on their bike and show me how tall they want. Then I would say keep them there. Then I would wait. Some would say, ok, but I would be holding onto the bars. I would tell them yes, and it will help, but after so many miles, you are hanging on those bars. Sometimes I would explain the above the shoulder height law, or how the taller the bars impacts the movement of the front end, but usually after I explained the issues with height I just did what they wanted.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Its fun watching those with ape hangers when the realization that hard rain is imminent hits their face. You can almost hear their internal cries.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
When I was building bikes, I would get people that wanted tall apes. I would tell them to sit on their bike and show me how tall they want. Then I would say keep them there. Then I would wait. Some would say, ok, but I would be holding onto the bars. I would tell them yes, and it will help, but after so many miles, you are hanging on those bars. Sometimes I would explain the above the shoulder height law, or how the taller the bars impacts the movement of the front end, but usually after I explained the issues with height I just did what they wanted.

That was me thought about the effect it would have on the steering. Personally I would want the best control over the bike to give me a fighting chance of saving myself.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That was me thought about the effect it would have on the steering. Personally I would want the best control over the bike to give me a fighting chance of saving myself.

When I was about 20, you could not give me a bike with drag bars or close. Man did I come to appreciate them later in life. However, the bike has a lot to do with what type of bars I would use, like my flathead 45's were kept stock.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Had 3 Road Kings. Changed the bars and seats on every one cuz they sucked on a trip. Made my wrists hurt. I think I used the same bars as a Softail with about 6" rise and a different angle back. I liked to lean back again my backrest.

Last edited: